iPhone 2.1 this Friday.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
According to http://live.gizmodo.com/ (who is present at the Let's Rock event), the iPhone 2.1 update will be available this Friday. I had hoped it would be out today, but.. It could be worse.

iTunes 8.0 will be out today.



Cheers,

Addy

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,735member
    Hope it massively improves battery life. Also, hoping it will fix the bug with Mail, where it intermittently stops receiving new mail until Mail is forced quit.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Will the iPhone get the same software upgrades that the Touch got? Genius and perhaps Nike?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I was just 'watching' the blog, but if my impression is right the iPhone would get the Genious and all that, but the question about Nike+ seemed to go unanswered.



    Addy
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I know 2.1 is coming out this Friday but what happened to Apple Push Notification Service? Is that going to be released along with it or is that not even a definite yet?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    thttht Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spadezzfurry27 View Post


    I know 2.1 is coming out this Friday but what happened to Apple Push Notification Service? Is that going to be released along with it or is that not even a definite yet?



    I bet no as there was no mention of it. Apple's got a problem with it's "push" server capability right now (obvious with MobileMe) and I don't think they'll move forward until the server problems are fixed.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    Also, hoping it will fix the bug with Mail, where it intermittently stops receiving new mail until Mail is forced quit.



    Glad to see I'm not the only one. Has Apple acknowledged this problem exists?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    akacakac Posts: 510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post


    I bet no as there was no mention of it. Apple's got a problem with it's "push" server capability right now (obvious with MobileMe) and I don't think they'll move forward until the server problems are fixed.



    They pulled the PSN because 2.1 needed to be released with all the fixes in it without adding new things.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Will everything on my iphone get wiped once I update the fw. Will I have to sync everything back after? I see itunes performing some sort of backup every time I connect to itunes. Is this for when I update?



    Also in relation to above will my contacts also be wiped? They are actually also on my SIM so those should still remain there right? When I first got it I didnt go via the sync with outlook method. Instead I just used the import contacts from SIM method.



    Thanks
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I just hope it fixes my rediculously long backup/syncs.



    Does anyone know if those new headphones are compatible with the iPhone? I've been hoping for

    volume controls by the clicker & the option to select the previous track.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    thttht Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post


    Does anyone know if those new headphones are compatible with the iPhone? I've been hoping for volume controls by the clicker & the option to select the previous track.



    Gizmodo said no, the new headphones aren't compatible with the iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    thttht Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post


    They pulled the PSN because 2.1 needed to be released with all the fixes in it without adding new things.



    I fail to see the difference between your point and my point. We still arrive at the same conclusion.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    akacakac Posts: 510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post


    I fail to see the difference between your point and my point. We still arrive at the same conclusion.



    No not really, they are quite different. But does it matter?



    Anyhow your point is that they have issues with Push, MobileMe, and so on and that is why its not in 2.1. My point is that it has nothing to do with where they were with the Push Notification Server because they also removed the 2.1 GPS functionality as well which has nothing to do with servers.



    My point is simply that 2.1 needed to be refocused to bug-fixes to fix the major issues in the core OS that was causing a ton of bad press and so they had two choices: 1) Release 2.1 with the bugfixes now and without PSN, or add a few weeks to the delivery date.



    They did the right thing and focused on the bug fixes getting out there sooner than later.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    thttht Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post


    No not really, they are quite different. But does it matter?



    Did you not just repeat what I said?



    Quote:

    Anyhow your point is that they have issues with Push, MobileMe, and so on and that is why its not in 2.1. My point is that it has nothing to do with where they were with the Push Notification Server because they also removed the 2.1 GPS functionality as well which has nothing to do with servers.



    My point is simply that 2.1 needed to be refocused to bug-fixes to fix the major issues in the core OS that was causing a ton of bad press and so they had two choices: 1) Release 2.1 with the bugfixes now and without PSN, or add a few weeks to the delivery date.



    They did the right thing and focused on the bug fixes getting out there sooner than later.



    So you're saying PSN isn't ready?
Sign In or Register to comment.