Apple refreshes iPod shuffle colors, intros 120GB iPod classic

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Although it wasn't mentioned during chief executive Steve Jobs' keynote presentation Tuesday morning, Apple refreshed the color options for its second-generation iPod shuffle. Separately, the company introduced a new 120GB version of the iPod classic.



iPod shuffle



Billed as "the world?s most wearable music player," the iPod shuffle is just half a cubic inch in volume, weighs just half an ounce, features an aluminum design with a built-in clip and comes in silver, red, and more vibrant shades of blue, green, and purple.



"At just $49, the iPod shuffle is the most affordable iPod ever,? said Greg Joswiak, Apple?s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. "The 2GB model lets music lovers bring even more songs everywhere they go in the impossibly small iPod shuffle."



The new shuffles remain priced at $49 for the 1GB model and $69 for the 2GB model. The new vibrant color palette (top) compared to the pale color units that were announced earlier in the year.



New







Old







iPod classic



Separately, Apple said its iPod classic family of players now consists of just one slimline model in either grey or black. The thicker 160GB model has been discontinued and the thinner 80GB model was upgrade with 50 percent more capacity for the same $249 price tag.



«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 22
    The shuffle gets no keynote love from the Steve : (
  • Reply 2 of 22
    120GB?



    Methinks the 160GB drives are needed for MacBook Airs
  • Reply 3 of 22
    takeotakeo Posts: 418member
    WTF?! They REDUCED the capacity of the Classic?!?!?!?! Seriously p*ssed off.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post


    WTF?! They REDUCED the capacity of the Classic?!?!?!?! Seriously p*ssed off.



    Oh behave yourself. I take it you bought a 160GB one to contribute to the obviously poor sales of it?



    Most people who bought a classic bought the 80GB. It's a good move.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stuart Kirby View Post


    Oh behave yourself. I take it you bought a 160GB one to contribute to the obviously poor sales of it?



    Most people who bought a classic bought the 80GB. It's a good move.



    wasn't the 160 just two 80 gb anyway?



    This seems like the end (or near it) for both products, as they got anemic updates (shuffle especially ... no price drop or anything)
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stuart Kirby View Post


    Oh behave yourself. I take it you bought a 160GB one to contribute to the obviously poor sales of it?



    Most people who bought a classic bought the 80GB. It's a good move.



    The 160GB was too small anyway, so why buy one?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post


    wasn't the 160 just two 80 gb anyway?



    This seems like the end (or near it) for both products, as they got anemic updates (shuffle especially ... no price drop or anything)



    No? the 160GB had a HDD with two 80GB platters, most probably.



    And yes, I think it's close to the end for the classic now.



    /Adrian
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Why does every product that Apple has for sale need updating every time some people think it does?



    Does the Shuffle not do exactly what it was intended to do and serve the purpose for which it was intended? And just how far can Apple reduce the price. Remember, too, that price isn't all about value... it is about PERCEIVED value. Having the Shuffles too cheap actually makes them less attractive to a number of buyers. Besides, I think they are good value at the price they are.



    And as mentioned above, how many 160 GB Classics were being sold? Apple seems wise to split the difference and put in a 50% larger HD than in the smaller model, and reduce the line to one model with two colours. Again, THEY know how many they sell. We don't. Let's be happy that they still market a high capacity iPod until the NAND iPods can be at the same capacity for the same price.



    The new Nano no doubt had some serious marketing surveys done on it. A lot of people loved the "phat" Nano, but I can see how the design of the new Nano works for a lot more people as far as fitting into clothing, or on the arm, etc. while not compromising the viewability of videos if one wants to watch those on a small screen, say on a bus, or train, or airplane.



    I think the refresh is exactly that... a refresh... with a different shaped Nano that probably fits more closely with what the public wants, due to Apple's marketing surveys. Perhaps they blew it on the "phat" Nano, and are returning to what they hope sells much better.



    Let's just see how these iPods sell in the 4th calendar quarter before we write them off as people are saying in so many posts....... boring.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post


    120GB?



    Methinks the 160GB drives are needed for MacBook Airs



    Not possible. The Air can only fit a single platter 1.8" HDD. The 160Gb is two platters. The next Air will certainly come with the120GB HDD as it's only a single platter design, which is why the thickness of the iPod didn't change from 80 to 120GB, and the 160GB was thicker.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post


    WTF?! They REDUCED the capacity of the Classic?!?!?!?! Seriously p*ssed off.



    No, they didn't. They increased the 80GB version by 50%, and discontinued the thicker 160GB version. If you want the 160GB version you are in luck, because now they are cheaper from Apple and other vendors.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post


    wasn't the 160 just two 80 gb anyway?



    This seems like the end (or near it) for both products, as they got anemic updates (shuffle especially ... no price drop or anything)



    The shuffle's price was dropped and the capacity increase for the first time this past January after the sales were slipping. At $50 there isn't much profit to be had so volume is key and as little revision as necessary to maintain profits.



    As for the Classic, it wasn't too HDDs, but it was two 80GB platters to make a single 160GB, hence the thickness.



    edit: Pipped by Zandros.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,591member
    I think Apple put a cap on the classic size to allow flash time to catch up to speed. A year from now, I doubt we will see very many classics being sold.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Now that the thicker Classic has been retired I highly doubt that Apple will bring it back in January now that 240GB 1.8" HDDs will be coming out. Still, I think it's quite funny this was announced today after so many are crying for the larger Classic.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    re the Toshiba 240 and 120 new HD today, I wonder if Apple is using the new 120 GB, as Toshiba says it is sturdier, faster and lower power consumption than previous one.



    re the Shuffle - true that there seems to be no change in the device itself, other than Apple changing the exterior aluminum colors, and boosting the iTunes minimum version from previous of 7.4 to new requirement of 7.7.

    (I wonder why the iTunes version change requirement is?)



    I use my original (rev 'A" - with the knob/post earphones) 2nd Gen clip shuffle quite a bit. And I see other folks with them - and buying them, so my guess is they will be in the product mix for quite some time.



    The big plus in the Shuffle UI design is that they are (AFAIK) the ONLY iPod to have an actual ON/OFF switch. I wish all the iPods had and On/Off switch (it would let me use my ancient 15GB iPod for better data transfer uses - as it is now though, with front round electro/capacitance buttons non-functioning, it spins the HD till the battery drains completely... not so good).



    The only downside to my 2nd Gen clip shuffle (rev A) is that there is a tiny background hiss static noise in very quiet passages, or when in pause with no song playing. I am not sure if that has ever been addressed in the newer revisions of the Shuffle.



    Still all in all, a very good and useful product.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The next Air will certainly come with the120GB HDD



    Will the Air come with 2 working cores?



    At $50 there isn't much profit to be had so volume is key and as little revision as necessary to maintain profits.



    I would be very surprised if the manufacturing costs of the Shuffle exceed $20 per unit.



    edit: Pipped by Zandros.



    Done.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post


    re the Shuffle - true that there seems to be no change in the device itself, other than Apple changing the exterior aluminum colors, and boosting the iTunes minimum version from previous of 7.4 to new requirement of 7.7.

    (I wonder why the iTunes version change requirement is?)



    There cold be some cheaper internals or a new firmware for it. I'd go with the latter.



    Quote:

    The only downside to my 2nd Gen clip shuffle (rev A) is that there is a tiny background hiss static noise in very quiet passages, or when in pause with no song playing. I am not sure if that has ever been addressed in the newer revisions of the Shuffle.



    Nothing $49+tax can't resolve.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post


    Will the Air come with 2 working cores?



    With 15% less power consumption to the processor and therefore less heat. Hopefully they get it worked out. I think a recall and/or lawsuit will occur for the MBA.



    Quote:

    I would be very surprised if the manufacturing costs of the Shuffle exceed $20 per unit.



    Me too, but there are many other costs besides manufacturing (and parts).
  • Reply 15 of 22
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    These shuffle and classic changes were incremental and sensible changes, I just wish they would have given the classic a longer screen ala zune, then that would be my ideal ipod. I'll just hang on to my 5g and grab an iphone like I was planning to and grab a new nano. 5g ipod with basically my whole library on it in the car, nano in the gym and on the go, iphone everything else.



    My god, I'm a an apple slut.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post


    These shuffle and classic changes were incremental and sensible changes, I just wish they would have given the classic a longer screen ala zune, then that would be my ideal ipod. I'll just hang on to my 5g and grab an iphone like I was planning to and grab a new nano. 5g ipod with basically my whole library on it in the car, nano in the gym and on the go, iphone everything else.



    My god, I'm a an apple slut.



    "Steve Jobs doesn't care about Classic people"
  • Reply 17 of 22
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1305538]Not possible. The Air can only fit a single platter 1.8" HDD. The 160Gb is two platters. The next Air will certainly come with the120GB HDD as it's only a single platter design, which is why the thickness of the iPod didn't change from 80 to 120GB, and the 160GB was thicker.







    No, they didn't. They increased the 80GB version by 50%, and discontinued the thicker 160GB version. If you want the 160GB version you are in luck, because now they are cheaper from Apple and other vendors.
    Solipsism, your link didn't work. I, myself, would like to get one of the 160GB iPods before they're gone! I'm sure all of the online retailers have supply, and I'm guessing they haven't been selling well, so I should have some time to locate one. Let me know if Apple really is selling them cheaper than the other vendors!
  • Reply 18 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GadgetGuy View Post


    Solipsism, your link didn't work. I, myself, would like to get one of the 160GB iPods before they're gone! I'm sure all of the online retailers have supply, and I'm guessing they haven't been selling well, so I should have some time to locate one. Let me know if Apple really is selling them cheaper than the other vendors!



    Welcome to AI! Go to the Apple Online Store. At the bottom-right click on "Refurbished iPods".



    [CENTER][/CENTER]
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Welcome to AI! Go to the Apple Online Store. At the bottom-right click on "Refurbished iPods".



    What's the difference between the new Classics and the old, apart from capacity/price? I see mention that the new one has the Genius features which presumably won't be retrofitted to the older models. Otherwise I'm still looking at the 160Gb as it's only currently 20 quid more on Amazon.co.uk
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philb View Post


    What's the difference between the new Classics and the old, apart from capacity/price? I see mention that the new one has the Genius features which presumably won't be retrofitted to the older models. Otherwise I'm still looking at the 160Gb as it's only currently 20 quid more on Amazon.co.uk



    The new one can use the newly announced headphones with remote and microphone. The old one cannot.
Sign In or Register to comment.