RSS Syncing

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So my contract is finally up in a few weeks, so now is a good time to upgrade to an iPhone 3G.

As far as I understand it (and from experience with my iPod touch), reading an RSS feed on your iPhone doesn't then mark RSS articles as read when you return to your mac.

Currently I use Safari for my RSS. Is there a way to have articles mark as read after syncing the iPhone? I don't think there is this possibility through Safari, but is there another RSS app for Mac and iPhone that allows this to happen?

It would be great if I could read my RSS articles on the train on the way home, and not then have them marked as unread when I use my mac.

I'm sure I'm not the only person looking for an elegant solution to this - any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I use NetNewswire for the iPhone and the Mac - the apps use the same RSS feeds which sync with the newsgator website. This is perfect for me as I can read RSS feeds on the iPhone, sync it over GRPS, Edge or 3G and when I get home my NetNewswire is up to date. This is pretty much what you're looking for I think.

As an aside I use to use Google Reader almost exclusively before NetNewswire came out for the iPhone - now I have abandoned Google Reader all together (along with Google Mail as I now use MobileMe for the push mail, calendar etc).

Hope this helps,

Alex.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by G_Warren View Post

So my contract is finally up in a few weeks, so now is a good time to upgrade to an iPhone 3G.

As far as I understand it (and from experience with my iPod touch), reading an RSS feed on your iPhone doesn't then mark RSS articles as read when you return to your mac.

Currently I use Safari for my RSS. Is there a way to have articles mark as read after syncing the iPhone? I don't think there is this possibility through Safari, but is there another RSS app for Mac and iPhone that allows this to happen?

It would be great if I could read my RSS articles on the train on the way home, and not then have them marked as unread when I use my mac.

I'm sure I'm not the only person looking for an elegant solution to this - any help greatly appreciated!

• Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexwaddell View Post

I use NetNewswire for the iPhone and the Mac

Thanks Alex. I'm giving NetNewsWire a whirl on my iMac and it seems pretty good. Brilliant when you consider it is free! The only slight hitch was the fiddle to import bookmarks from Safari. Looking forward to trying out the iPhone version next week.