Mac doesn't show up on the net from a PC

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am a long-time PC user owning an iMac for the first time. Everything is fine and I can access files on my PC laptop attached to the wireless network. I have a Time Capsule as router and storage. I can access files on the iMac Windows partition from the laptop as well as the attached external drives.

However, when the Mac OS is running I see no evidence of the iMac on the network. Nor the external drives attached to it Interestingly I can access the PC laptop from the iMac when in the OS X drive. I've exhausted every thing I can think of including running through the network setup again but without success.

I could sure use some words of wisdom. Thanks.

Don

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DonL View Post

I am a long-time PC user owning an iMac for the first time. Everything is fine and I can access files on my PC laptop attached to the wireless network. I have a Time Capsule as router and storage. I can access files on the iMac Windows partition from the laptop as well as the attached external drives.

However, when the Mac OS is running I see no evidence of the iMac on the network. Nor the external drives attached to it Interestingly I can access the PC laptop from the iMac when in the OS X drive. I've exhausted every thing I can think of including running through the network setup again but without success.

I could sure use some words of wisdom. Thanks.

Don

Problem solved. Went to System Preferences/Sharing and clicked Options. Select "Share files and folders using SMB". Then it was a matter of setting the folders to Sharing that I wanted to share an they could be opened on my PC laptop.

Don