Next Time Capsule unit

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm considering buying a 500 gig Time Capsule unit, and I'm wondering if any body has heard anything about a new model coming out any time soon?

Also, when is the next update from 802.11n Wi-Fi expected?

I currently own a Airport Express and had to wait for the 802.11n Wi-Fi unit to come out.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    I don't like the huge footprint of the Time Capsule (matching the Airport Base Station).

I'd rather have a Time Capsule Mini using a 500GB 2.5" SATA drive.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJNY View Post

I don't like the huge footprint of the Time Capsule (matching the Airport Base Station).

Time Capsule has a much larger footprint than Airport Extreme. They don't match is size.

• Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Time Capsule has a much larger footprint than Airport Extreme

Do you think that might be something to do with it containing a load more hardware?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I wouldn't expect a major update any time soon. Any changes in the near term would likely be almost invisible to the user. I do think it is a little pricey, but still worth it.

Wi-Fi N is here to stay for the next few years at least. While there is always research on a faster and better way, I'm not aware of any efforts to bring a successor to the consumer market just yet.

The firmware seems solid enough. I don't have any problems, and all the features work as advertised. The only thing I would like is if the advanced features of my USB-attached injet worked over the network.

As far as the physical size or appearance goes, I don't care much. It sits on a shelf in a back room, and I rarely look at it. I already have a mish-mash of equipment sitting next to it (cable modem, Maxtor NAS, network swtich, and a separate B/G router to keep the N from falling back, and two printers) and none of it matches. I'd rather have a full-size HD than a notebook - cheaper and probably more reliable.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    time capsule runs very hot
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I would expect an AppleTV/TC/Airport/iTunes thingy with a iPhone/iPodT remove to access it.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayareamacaddict View Post

time capsule runs very hot

Right. Why does that make you angry?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    to have a smaller unit but the price point and capacity tradeoffs make for a harder product to sell IMHO
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steamboat View Post

to have a smaller unit but the price point and capacity tradeoffs make for a harder product to sell IMHO

2.5" drives are up to 500GB now, with the drive companies talking about 750 soon.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

2.5" drives are up to 500GB now, with the drive companies talking about 750 soon.

Yeah that comment only makes sense if your running YT.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Sure, it can be done but the per-GB price of a 2.5" drive is significantly more than for a 3.5" drive. Since this is not a mobile device, why not use the lower cost drive?