HP Unhappy with Microsoft?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Looks like the Great Vista Rebellion has started.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-100...orsPicksArea.0

Long live the rebellion!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looks like the Great Vista Rebellion has started.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-100...orsPicksArea.0

Long live the rebellion!

Isn't Windows 7 supposed to be out next year?

If so that makes me wonder if they see this version as still having the same weaknesses as Vista. Maybe it's not different enough from Vista to be any better received than Vista.

Hmm...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Given that HP has been delivering piss poor user interfaces for pretty much forever the probability they can do better than Ubuntu approaches zero. The probability they can equal Apple is zero. It just isn't in their DNA.

God I hated HPUX and CDE.

In any case, MS won't port Office to Linux anytime soon and HP isn't about to do what Apple has done with iLife, iWork, Aperture, FCS, etc. Nor are we likely to see Photoshop natively on Linux anytime soon.

A completely home grown Unix based OS by HP will be even more orphaned than one based on Linux and starting from FreeBSD or Darwin buys them...practically nothing over Linux unless they go through all the steps that Apple has done to build it's own ecosystem...

Maybe they'll buy the rights to AmigaOS...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Given that HP has been delivering piss poor user interfaces for pretty much forever the probability they can do better than Ubuntu approaches zero. The probability they can equal Apple is zero. It just isn't in their DNA.

God I hated HPUX and CDE.

In any case, MS won't port Office to Linux anytime soon and HP isn't about to do what Apple has done with iLife, iWork, Aperture, FCS, etc. Nor are we likely to see Photoshop natively on Linux anytime soon.

A completely home grown Unix based OS by HP will be even more orphaned than one based on Linux and starting from FreeBSD or Darwin buys them...practically nothing over Linux unless they go through all the steps that Apple has done to build it's own ecosystem...

Maybe they'll buy the rights to AmigaOS...

Yeah, I don't know why they would want to create thier on Linux distro when Ubuntu and open suse are already pretty damn good.

Like you mention, the big limitations in adopting Linux is whether people will accept open office as a substitute for MS office and the lack of PS on Linux.

Media codecs are a pain with Linux as well, but HP or any other pc vendor could load those on the system for the user.