Use Remote with iTunes to send different streams to different AirPort Express Units

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been using Remote App to control itunes and stream audio to the various Airport Expresses, the main limitation is that you can only send one AirTunes stream to AirPort Express stations at a time. I had a look at the Airport Express FAQ but that wasn't very informative;

Quote:

Question: Can iTunes send different AirTunes streams to different AirPort Express stations?

Answer: No. iTunes only sends the same stream to multiple AirPort Express units.

So do people think Apple will look at this feature or introduce it given how much effort they seem to be giving to getting the Remote App right...?

I've done a search of the forum to see if there's already a topic on this and I didn't find one, if there is one feel free to point me in the right direction.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    It would seem to me that it's a bandwidth issue.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I wonder how do systems like sonos manage re bandwidth so? Especially given they've only recently moved to the N draft wifi.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

It would seem to me that it's a bandwidth issue.

It is not a bandwidth issue. 44 kHz 16-bit stereo is only about 200KBytes/second, or less than 2 MBit (and I'm padding the numbers here to be conservative). Even if it were on wireless, running hardwired via an Ethernet cable should allow many streams.

I too wish they would fix this. It is most likely just a software limitation at some level. The hardware is more than capable of it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

It is not a bandwidth issue. 44 kHz 16-bit stereo is only about 200KBytes/second, or less than 2 MBit (and I'm padding the numbers here to be conservative). Even if it were on wireless, running hardwired via an Ethernet cable should allow many streams.

I too wish they would fix this. It is most likely just a software limitation at some level. The hardware is more than capable of it.

Makes sense. I don't think they'd need to run it over ethernet especially given there's N draft capability with Airport Express.

Is the limitation having itunes play more than one track at once?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    it cant be a itunes problem as you can share your music over the lan to 5 different users, who can listen to 5 different songs all whilst i can listen to different song so thats 6 different songs playing all at the same time so it cant be itunes, i just think they need to add that level of programming into it