Mail.app is wonky

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone else think the Mail.app is wonky. It's annoying the hell out me.

Constantly asking for passwords when it doesn't need them. It seems like anytime a mail server doesn't respond to a Mail.app login, Mail.app assumes the username/password is wrong and pops up a dialog box for me to type it in. Why is this software so stupid that it thinks a lack of response calls for a new password? It's done this since day one.

The Search doesn't work at all. I'll type in a keyword that I KNOW is in the body of an email message and Search will return no results. Search "entire message" doesn't seem to search the entire message at all. They should rename it to "Don't Search entire message".

Why is it so bad?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    As to the password box... you don't need to enter the password. Just hit cancel and then try checking mail again when the mail server is responding again.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Yea I know. And then Mail.app will try again, connect, and leave me alone. More proof of wonkiness.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Something else weird that seems to happen is that it can't count, when getting new mail or sending it mine states things like getting 45 new messages, and the bar moves across counting up as it does, I check in the inbox and only have 3, something similar for sending though the number isn't quite so high.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Are you accounting for any rules you have set up to filter email to different folders and the junk filter?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    No matter where the emails are going, into other folders/junk, the total number of emails being received does not equal the number of emails mail says it is receiving.

Not really something that annoys me just a little quirk that makes me wonder where the number it has is coming from.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    It's likely that's the number being reported by the mail server. If you're using a POP connection their may be mail on the server that's not being downloaded. To check that press Command-I (Account Info) and it brings up a window that lets you see what messages are on the mail server and either download them or delete them.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I'm still using Tiger. After the last update about week ago Mail displayed these weirdnesses:

1. When I click on the left half of an e-mail to drag it to a folder, the e-mail opens up instead (displays its raw form).

2. When a couple of e-mails arrive and I click on one and then delete it, the other e-mail often gets deleted too.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

It's likely that's the number being reported by the mail server. If you're using a POP connection their may be mail on the server that's not being downloaded. To check that press Command-I (Account Info) and it brings up a window that lets you see what messages are on the mail server and either download them or delete them.

You learn something new every day...(not that that was the problem )