I'm still wondering

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Where the heck is Quartz Extreme in 6C115? My PB/667/2001 - which supports QE - isn't at all faster than before (10.1.5). But this isn't the real matter: it could be that as it has the minimum requirements for QE (Radeon and 16MByte VRAM) the improvement in performance is not noticeable if compared to 10.1.5. The matter is: the CPU usage in 2D task is ABSOLUTELY THE SAME. Instead, the CPU usage should be drammatically lower.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    No, CPU usage will NOT be dramatically lower in all cases. Remember, Quartz Extreme only speeds up the 2D compositor. The rest of Quartz, notably the drawing and layout of various elements, is not affected.

Is Quartz Extreme working on your Mac? Here's a simple test. Play a dvd in Apple's DVD Player. Now, press one of the volume keys on the keyboard. Is the volume overlay properly transparent? Or is it completely opaque with grey corners? It the transparency works, then so does Quartz Extreme.

If Quartz Extreme is working, here's an example where you should see far lower CPU usage. Open three large, partially transparent Terminal windows. Quickly drag around one of the windows around your screen while watching "top -du" or some other CPU monitor in another window. Without Quartz Extreme, CPU usage will immediately jump to 100% and stay there as long as you're dragging the window. On my Mac with the original Radeon, the Window Manager rarely gets above 35%. That's certainly more than 0%, but it a LOT less than the previous 100%.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    any preliminary testing with the gf2mx/gf3?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by Badtz:

<strong>any preliminary testing with the gf2mx/gf3?</strong><hr></blockquote>Yes, both of those cards should be completely supported for Quartz Extreme.

From Apple's web site: [quote]Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti or any AGP-based ATI RADEON GPU. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required.<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Here's a pleasant surprise... QE works on my B+W with Radeon 7000 PCI graphics card, if i swap back to the Rage 128 QE gets turned off tho..

I thought It was only meant to work on AGP Radeons? anyone else experienced this?