Macbook won't start up

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a white macbook but it still has tiger on it and I had to update the computer and it updated and I had to restart the computer but when I try to start it up the loading bar will say starting up but it never does and I kept it on the charger for 3 days straight and it never started up

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Did the computer go to sleep while updating? This happened to me before and it totally stopped my MBP from booting. Boot from an external disc. Since its Tiger it would have to be a firewire disc (FW400 in your case) and then recover your files out, do a fresh install, by which I mean removing partition and then creating new one, and then load your data back into your computer. Should speed up your computer in the process since its a clean install.

I always keep an external disc handy, or even a high capacity thumb drive with leopard installed on it in case it does it to me again.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I'd be booting to the install DVD and doing a disk/permission check before wiping it clean and starting again.

The loading bar indicated that it's trying to load the user environment, which can often be fixed using Disk Utility on the system install DVD.

If you were upgrading from tiger to leopard, then yeah, a 'wipe out/re-install' will be best, but if you were just doing a system update for tiger, it may not be necessary.