How does one resize images?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've got a few pictures that simply show up too small in Preview. Is there a way to permanently enlarge them so that I don't have to Apple-key+Up-key them and drag it larger?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    preview sucks... its a good 'general' tool... but when it comes to pictures and stuff, it utterly blows. Use Graphic Converter.

As to your question, I dont think there is.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Macinphile:

<strong>I've got a few pictures that simply show up too small in Preview. Is there a way to permanently enlarge them so that I don't have to Apple-key+Up-key them and drag it larger?

Thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

Try this--Resize!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    GraphicConverter is probably the best thing to get.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Preview pays attention to the resolution of your image. If you change the resolution of the image to 72 dpi, it'll be alright.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Yes, this is a point worth repeating: Preview tries to show images at their "real" size. Some image formats, like TIFF and JPEG (but not GIF) contain resolution information. This means that by default Preview isn't showing you all the information in an image if it's at something other than 72 dpi.

This is annoying, and even more annoying is that Preview doesn't have a "Show pixels" or "1:1" option, so there's no way to see what a Photoshop user would consider 100% (ie, a pixel in the image corresponds to a pixel on your display). If you have Photoshop (or presumably GraphicConverter), you can change an image's resolution to 72 dpi without actually scaling it. The pixel information stays the same, but now Preview will display it correctly.