MacPro - need advice from Intel Roadmap Watchers

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm tearing my hair out trying to drive Aperture with a 30" display from an older MacBookPro.

Have the cash for a MacPro, but seems like a new model is "around the corner".

I have not been keeping up with the Intel Roadmap, and would appreciate it if those of you who follow this closely could give me some educated guesses as to when Apple will be SHIPPING new models (as opposed to just announcing them!).

If it is in the Oct-Nov time frame, I'll hold out.

But if it may not be till Jan-Feb (ie: Announce at MacWorld, ship in Feb) then i'm over to eBay to find a used one to tide me over....

thank you !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    The processor most likely to go in the Mac Pro is codenamed Gainestown, and should be launched before the end of this year, but there is no way for any of us to know when Apple will adopt it.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I don't know when it's coming but strangely there is an incredible lack of interest in the Mac Pro model in general (as evidenced by the lack of threads here about future Mac Pro models).
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Football View Post

I don't know when it's coming but strangely there is an incredible lack of interest in the Mac Pro model in general (as evidenced by the lack of threads here about future Mac Pro models).

Yeah, I was wondering that myself. Seems many people are more concerned about the next MacBook/iPhone/AppleTV/Brick, etc.

I use a MBP and love it, but I NEED the heavy lifting of a MacPro, as do countless others trying to do any kind of high end graphic/video/audio work. I'm so close to just buying a current one, but I know if I do, Apple with announce the replacement the following Tuesday.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Football View Post

I'm thinking either announcement for November and shipping near mid November or Christmas.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    You can always get a rough guess here

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlondon View Post

I'm tearing my hair out trying to drive Aperture with a 30" display from an older MacBookPro.

What problem are you having with the MBP driving a 30" monitor?

Just curious. I thought MBPs with dedicated graphics could drive 30" monitors.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously keep what you have now until it becomes clear what the economic situation turns into. You may find yourself needing to be able to travel a bit to even get work in the near future. Frankly at this point that means into the next year and maybe even farther into the next year if to many Democrats win in the election.

The problems are many but the good thing is that if you wait until the new year you will likely have access to new Mac Pros. The other thing to realize is that no matter who wins the election the economic climate will be worst than it was this year. If Obama wins expect things to be very very bad for small businesses.

The big problem is this, if the current problems turn into a real depression making money the old way may become a huge problem. Thus you will need to be adaptable. Being nailed down to a big traditional desktop might not work well. So give yourself sometime to determine if we have a depression on our hands or simply a bad economic downturn. Realize too that there are damn few people left that know about a depression or what it will be like. Can you imagine yourself standing in a breadline with a Mac Pro at your side?

OK so that might be a little extreme but consider this niether canadate running for President seems to grasp the situation. One; Obama, seems to have a flippant attitude and a very negative impression of small business. The very businesses needed to pull a country out of an economic downturn. It is a very unsure time for business investment.

By waiting you kill two birds with one stone. You have the new hardware to choose from and you will likely know how difficult it will be to pay for the hardware.

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously keep what you have now until it becomes clear what the economic situation turns into. You may find yourself needing to be able to travel a bit to even get work in the near future. Frankly at this point that means into the next year and maybe even farther into the next year if to many Democrats win in the election.

The big problem is this, if the current problems turn into a real depression making money the old way may become a huge problem. Thus you will need to be adaptable. Being nailed down to a big traditional desktop might not work well. So give yourself sometime to determine if we have a depression on our hands or simply a bad economic downturn. Realize too that there are damn few people left that know about a depression or what it will be like. Can you imagine yourself standing in a breadline with a Mac Pro at your side?

OK so that might be a little extreme but consider this niether canadate running for President seems to grasp the situation. One; Obama, seems to have a flippant attitude and a very negative impression of small business. The very businesses needed to pull a country out of an economic downturn. It is a very unsure time for business investment.

Dave

Dave,

Was that a campaign speech?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Dave,

It's still possible that the OP, mlondon, doesn't even live in the US.

Anyway, the last piece of info I got about Gainestown (Nehalem for workstations/servers) comes from Tom's Hardware, this site is usually accurate but their "info" on the pricing of the upcoming Xeon cpus is scary:

Intel Workstation & Server Processors 2009 (Xeon)Tylersburg

Processor Speed Cache TDP Memory Sockets Platform Price

W5580 3.20GHz 8MB 130W 1333MHz 2 Workstation $1600 vs $1279 for the 3.20GHz Harpertown

X5570 2.93GHz 8MB _95W 1333MHz 2 ___Server___ $1386 vs $1022 for the 3.00GHz Harpertown

X5560 2.80GHz 8MB _95W 1333MHz 2 ___Server___ $1172 vs $797 for the 2.80GHz Harpertown

X5550 2.66GHz 8MB _95W 1333MHz 2 ___Server___ $958

E5540 2.53GHz 8MB _80W 1066MHz 2 ___Server___ $744 -? vs $797 for the 2.80GHz Harpertown

E5530 2.40GHz 8MB _80W 1066MHz 2 ___Server___ $530

E5520 2.26GHz 8MB _80W 1066MHz 2 ___Server___ $373

E5506 2.13GHz 4MB _80W _800MHz 2 ___Server___ $266

E5504 2.00GHz 4MB _80W _800MHz 2 ___Server___ $224

E5502 1.86GHz 4MB _80W _800MHz 2 ___Server___ $188

L5520 2.26GHz 4MB _60W 1066MHz 2 ___Server___ $530

L5506 2.13GHz 4MB _60W _800MHz 2 ___Server___ $423

W3570 3.20GHz 8MB 130W 1333MHz 1 Workstation $999 vs $1600 for the DP-enabled model

W3540 2.93GHz 8MB 130W 1066MHz 1 Workstation $562 vs $1386 for the DP-enabled model

W3520 2.66GHz 8MB 130W 1066MHz 1 Workstation $284 vs $958 for the DP-enabled model

Either Apple will offer more expensive Mac Pro (doesn't look too good in the situation wizard69 described!) or we will see more single cpu configurations, hopefully using desktop/workstation cpus instead of dual server cpus...

Anyway, I expect the new Nehalem Mac Pro to be available either very late 2008 or more likely around MacWorld 2009 (early january 2009).
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Anyway, the last piece of info I got about Gainestown (Nehalem for workstations/servers) comes from Tom's Hardware, this site is usually accurate but their "info" on the pricing of the upcoming Xeon cpus is scary:

Intel Workstation & Server Processors 2009 (Xeon)Tylersburg

Processor Speed Cache TDP Memory Sockets Platform Price

W5580 3.20GHz 8MB 130W 1333MHz 2 Workstation $1600 vs $1279 for the 3.20GHz Harpertown

X5570 2.93GHz 8MB _95W 1333MHz 2 ___Server___ $1386 vs $1022 for the 3.00GHz Harpertown

X5560 2.80GHz 8MB _95W 1333MHz 2 ___Server___ $1172 vs $797 for the 2.80GHz Harpertown

X5550 2.66GHz 8MB _95W 1333MHz 2 ___Server___ $958

E5540 2.53GHz 8MB _80W 1066MHz 2 ___Server___ $744 -› vs $797 for the 2.80GHz Harpertown

E5530 2.40GHz 8MB _80W 1066MHz 2 ___Server___ $530

E5520 2.26GHz 8MB _80W 1066MHz 2 ___Server___ $373

E5506 2.13GHz 4MB _80W _800MHz 2 ___Server___ $266

E5504 2.00GHz 4MB _80W _800MHz 2 ___Server___ $224

E5502 1.86GHz 4MB _80W _800MHz 2 ___Server___ $188

L5520 2.26GHz 4MB _60W 1066MHz 2 ___Server___ $530

L5506 2.13GHz 4MB _60W _800MHz 2 ___Server___ $423

W3570 3.20GHz 8MB 130W 1333MHz 1 Workstation $999 vs $1600 for the DP-enabled model

W3540 2.93GHz 8MB 130W 1066MHz 1 Workstation $562 vs $1386 for the DP-enabled model

W3520 2.66GHz 8MB 130W 1066MHz 1 Workstation $284 vs $958 for the DP-enabled model

Either Apple will offer more expensive Mac Pro (doesn't look too good in the situation wizard69 described!) or we will see more single cpu configurations, hopefully using desktop/workstation cpus instead of dual server cpus...

Anyway, I expect the new Nehalem Mac Pro to be available either very late 2008 or more likely around MacWorld 2009 (early january 2009).

You'll see it this November.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Two things to consider: the 2.93GHz Gainestown may be noticeably faster than the current 3.2GHz Xeon. The desktop Nehalem processors have already been tested and are as much as 40% faster at some tasks than their predecessors.

Second, the rest of a Nehalem system is cheaper. Gainestown will use ordinary DDR3 RAM (still expensive, but less than FB-DIMMs), and moving the memory controller and main PCIe bus to the processor simplifies the Northbridge.

And who knows what Apple's prices for these things are?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Seems I've stirred up a mini-storm here.

mjteix, thanks for the info and link. However I'm not conversant enough with the nomenclature, and I see no mention of Gainestown on the list or on Tom's Hardware site.

mdriftmeyer, you say "You'll see it this November" - do you mean the annoucement, or the shipping machine itself? Care to share the reasons for your certainty?

The main reason for needing the MacPro over my current MacBookPro is the video performance. I've got a two generation old MBP with 256MB of VRAM and a sluggish GeForce 8600M GT chipset. I want to be able to use a REAL graphics card with some decent VRAM and horsepower. Not out to buy the highest end configuration of processors, or max it out with 32GB of RAM.

wizard69, regarding the political observations, with all due respect, I couldnt be less interested in your comments as they have ZERO relevance to my original post. You have no idea who I am, why I need a MacPro, what I do etc. I'm sure there is another place on this forum for your thoughts, but not in Future Hardware or this thread. Again, no hard feelings, just not interested. Thank you.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

The main reason for needing the MacPro over my current MacBookPro is the video performance. I've got a two generation old MBP with 256MB of VRAM and a sluggish GeForce 8600M GT chipset. I want to be able to use a REAL graphics card with some decent VRAM and horsepower. Not out to buy the highest end configuration of processors, or max it out with 32GB of RAM.

When it gets updated, the new video cards will be available (perhaps not immediately) as upgrade kits. I'm sure they'll work in the current Mac Pro.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Dave,

I did not mean for the message to sound political, rather I wanted to highlight that no matter what happens in the election the economic landscape will be different in the near future. As such it might not hurt if people take a bit more care with spending.

Of course there is always a political side to economics which makes even more important that people be careful this election year a keep anti business people out of government. One big problem we have these days is that about half the people working these days have never been through a hard economic downturn. You can not survive such on arrogance and a dismissive attitude.

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I did not mean for the message to sound political, rather I wanted to highlight that no matter what happens in the election the economic landscape will be different in the near future. As such it might not hurt if people take a bit more care with spending.

Of course there is always a political side to economics which makes even more important that people be careful this election year a keep anti business people out of government. One big problem we have these days is that about half the people working these days have never been through a hard economic downturn. You can not survive such on arrogance and a dismissive attitude.

Dave

But we've had the government controlled by the pro-business, no regulation, no oversight group for 8 years and look were they have gotten us. The "anti-business" group (as you might define them) that was in power for 8 years before this group had the best economic growth in our nation's history. I'm ready to "Turn Out the Bums".
  • Reply 16 of 17
    If you didn't want comments then why the post?

Quote:

wizard69, regarding the political observations, with all due respect, I couldnt be less interested in your comments as they have ZERO relevance to my original post.

Actually the do otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time to write them down.

Quote:

You have no idea who I am, why I need a MacPro, what I do etc.

No I may not know a lot about you but your post revealed a few things that aren't to flattering. In any event like has been mentioned thousands of times in these forums by computing hardware for a business when you need the hardware. You clearly don't but more so I gave you additional sound ECONOMIC reasons to hold off on your purchase.

Let's face it if you really needed a Mac Pro you would go out and buy one today.

Quote:

I'm sure there is another place on this forum for your thoughts, but not in Future Hardware or this thread.

What so offended you? Was it the idea that one needs to change their purchasing behaviuor based on the economic climate? That is not exactly a new idea. Or was it the suggestion that a election gone wrong might make things very bad and it wouldn't hurt to hold off until after the election.

Your questions where more or less of the type do I buy now or later. If you where a businessman you wouldn't have even offered up the question in that form. Businesses buy capital based on need and the ability to earn enough off it to pay for the purchase. In any event it has become clear that you really don't need a Mac Pro if you are not willing to consider everything that would go into making the business case for the machine.

Quote:

Again, no hard feelings, just not interested. Thank you.

No hard feelings here but frankly I don't see you as looking at this as a business issue but rather a technology issue. Don't get me wrong about half my hardware purchases are made based on the tech and not my personal need. From the standpoint of a business though a Mac Pro is going to be very fast relative to a MBP even today. Sure a new Mac Pro will be faster but so will be the new MBPs.

The point is if you need the performance you should go out and buy today if you believe your business can support it. But frankly I get the sense that you really don't need the machine and are just looking for reasons to wait for the new hardware. I'm really sorry you don't like the reasons I gave you but frankly, right now I believe them to be as sound as any.

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Seems I've stirred up a mini-storm here.

mjteix, thanks for the info and link. However I'm not conversant enough with the nomenclature, and I see no mention of Gainestown on the list or on Tom's Hardware site.

mdriftmeyer, you say "You'll see it this November" - do you mean the annoucement, or the shipping machine itself? Care to share the reasons for your certainty?

wizard69, regarding the political observations, with all due respect, I couldnt be less interested in your comments as they have ZERO relevance to my original post. You have no idea who I am, why I need a MacPro, what I do etc. I'm sure there is another place on this forum for your thoughts, but not in Future Hardware or this thread. Again, no hard feelings, just not interested. Thank you.

Colleagues in fabulous places.