Safari Beta 4.0 - mail stopped working

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
wondering if anyone has encountered the same problem. Downloaded Safari 4.0 to play around with it and Mail has stopped working. From looking at the crash log see the following :

Application Specific Information:

-[LocationManager _determineCurrentLocation]

-[MessageContentController _fetchContentsForMessage:fromStore:withViewingStat e:]

-[IMAPGateway _allowClientOperationThrough:]

-[LibraryIMAPStore openSynchronouslyUpdatingMetadata:]

-[MailApp _restoreMessagesFromDefaults]

it seems to be an issue with restoring message from default so I'm going to wipe out my existing mail box ( where possible ) and resynch with mobileme

the interesting thing though is that I have tried to deinstsall Safari ( back port to 3.1.2 ) and when installing the leopard package I get the message that must be on Mac OS 10.5.2 or alter yet preferences/about indicate I'm running 10.5.5

any help would be greatly appreciated.

like all good elves - I have reported it to Apple to make sure we get the best applications!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Didn;t get to the root cause of the problem but have got mail and Safari - saved the prior mailboxes , deleted the existing accounts, resynched with mobile me, added the save .mbox directories back.

and running Beta 4.0
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    No problems here, I have used both versions of 4.0b.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I've had a occasional crash-on-launch bug in Mail with the latest Safari beta installed. It's dependent on what email is selected when you launch. If it has attachments or is HTML it will crash. Best to select a regular email in your inbox before quitting so when you relaunch it's selected.

If you're already crashing, go to your home folder's Library/Mail/Your Account/INBOX.mbox/Messages/

Here you can drag out the latest email you think might be the currently selected culprit (they are .emlx files). Most likely the most recent file if you didn't select something different before quitting. When you successfully launch, you can drag the file back into the messages folder. It may not render correctly (it'll show raw source) at first when selected, but Mail will eventually correct itself and render it properly.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AEV1 View Post

the interesting thing though is that I have tried to deinstsall Safari ( back port to 3.1.2 ) and when installing the leopard package I get the message that must be on Mac OS 10.5.2 or alter yet preferences/about indicate I'm running 10.5.5

You should be able to revert to the previous Safari by mounting the Safari 4 Beta DMG and running Safari40PreviewUninstall.pkg
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Endimyon - thanks for the help - the difficulty was not being able to load a mail since Mail crashed before being able to load, however restoring the prior inbox did the trick...