Why now is about to be the best ever time to buy a Mac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is doing pretty well by just about any objective standard. Its iPod range is evergreen and continues to raise the bar just as everyone else catches up. The iPhone has been an incredible success, going from a standing start to the world's number 10 handset manufacturer in little over a year. Awesome. Meanwhile, its venerable PC range has soldiered on despite only modest refreshes over a two-year period. As a result, Apple is achieving record revenues, record profitability, has zero debt, hordes of cash and a reputation so strong that thousands of us spend time posting random thoughts on this site when we could be dating Kate Bosworth.



So what's next? Well, in case you hadn't noticed we're in a recession and people are postponing buying expensive electronics and so on. In fact, nearly all of Apple's competitors are feeling the heat. The last thing any of them can deal with is pressure on their margins. They're just hoping to weather the storm until we can all get access to cheap money again to buy the big ticket tech products we want on easier credit terms.



But not Apple. Apple is sitting pretty. So what is its likely game plan?



First up, in case you've spent the first eight months of the year on mars, is that we finally get new notebooks. I am totally confiedent that they'll up the ante and be as amazing as Apple's existing product line-up. Expect faster speeds, thinner body, smaller footprint, lighter weight, longer battery life and all packaged in great design that just oozes class and desirability.



Then comes the sucker punch: pricing.



My intuition tells me that Apple will dramatically lower the prices on all of its entry level MacBook models. I believe that when new MacBooks arrive they will come in well below expectations to deliver stunning value and quality. It's going to create a market buzz that will terrify other vendors.



I think this is going to cause a 'tipping point' effect where Apple grabs a substantial market share. At the moment they've clawed back to around 10-12%, but i expect this to double over the next year to around 20%.



While raw pricing should have a significant effect, I also believe that Snow Leopard is going to drive a recovery of corporate customers. So while Apple will experience a short-term downward pressure on margins, longer-term it will continue to grow through the sheer number of customers migrating from PC brands to OSX.



I think the new MacBooks will come in at very attractive prices, I'd say substantially below $800. I also expect a hefty price-cut on the MacBook Air.



I think this is the strategy that's going to throw a 'brick' through the Windows of Redmond.



But, hey, this is just guesswork based on what I've seen and read. But don't be surprised if this is exactly what happens.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post




    I think the new MacBooks will come in at very attractive prices, I'd say substantially below $800. I also expect a hefty price-cut on the MacBook Air.



    I think this is the strategy that's going to throw a 'brick' through the Windows of Redmond.



    This is essentially what i said in another thread as far as pricing goes, I agree with you here. I thought the second comment was rather quick and witty
  • Reply 2 of 16
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Yet another thread about low-priced Macs that doesn't mention the Mini. There may be an 899 MacBook, but it's very unlikely. If Apple cares one iota about low-priced Macs, they wouldn't be ignoring the Mini. Dream on, guys.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post


    I think the new MacBooks will come in at very attractive prices, I'd say substantially below $800. I also expect a hefty price-cut on the MacBook Air.



    So how come when I went into Square Group, a respected premium retailer in the UK, they said that the prices are likely to increase???
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tewks View Post


    So how come when I went into Square Group, a respected premium retailer in the UK, they said that the prices are likely to increase???



    Because they want to scare you into buying a computer now?



    People have talked about Apple cutting prices to dramatically boost market share for years and it hasn't happened. However, it won't keep people from continuing to talk about it even more. I suppose some day it may happen and everyone will come out of the woodwork and say "see, I was right" when in fact they weren't right for a long time.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    MacBook Air + Firewire 400 Port + 4 GB RAM + Hefty Price Cut =
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post


    Apple is doing pretty well by just about any objective standard. Its iPod range is evergreen and continues to raise the bar just as everyone else catches up. The iPhone has been an incredible success, going from a standing start to the world's number 10 handset manufacturer in little over a year. Awesome. Meanwhile, its venerable PC range has soldiered on despite only modest refreshes over a two-year period. As a result, Apple is achieving record revenues, record profitability, has zero debt, hordes of cash and a reputation so strong that thousands of us spend time posting random thoughts on this site when we could be dating Kate Bosworth.



    So what's next? Well, in case you hadn't noticed we're in a recession and people are postponing buying expensive electronics and so on. In fact, nearly all of Apple's competitors are feeling the heat. The last thing any of them can deal with is pressure on their margins. They're just hoping to weather the storm until we can all get access to cheap money again to buy the big ticket tech products we want on easier credit terms.



    But not Apple. Apple is sitting pretty. So what is its likely game plan?



    First up, in case you've spent the first eight months of the year on mars, is that we finally get new notebooks. I am totally confiedent that they'll up the ante and be as amazing as Apple's existing product line-up. Expect faster speeds, thinner body, smaller footprint, lighter weight, longer battery life and all packaged in great design that just oozes class and desirability.



    Then comes the sucker punch: pricing.



    My intuition tells me that Apple will dramatically lower the prices on all of its entry level MacBook models. I believe that when new MacBooks arrive they will come in well below expectations to deliver stunning value and quality. It's going to create a market buzz that will terrify other vendors.



    I think this is going to cause a 'tipping point' effect where Apple grabs a substantial market share. At the moment they've clawed back to around 10-12%, but i expect this to double over the next year to around 20%.



    While raw pricing should have a significant effect, I also believe that Snow Leopard is going to drive a recovery of corporate customers. So while Apple will experience a short-term downward pressure on margins, longer-term it will continue to grow through the sheer number of customers migrating from PC brands to OSX.



    I think the new MacBooks will come in at very attractive prices, I'd say substantially below $800. I also expect a hefty price-cut on the MacBook Air.



    I think this is the strategy that's going to throw a 'brick' through the Windows of Redmond.



    But, hey, this is just guesswork based on what I've seen and read. But don't be surprised if this is exactly what happens.



    Amen brother. Now WHERE IS MY NEW MACBOOK PRO!?!?!?!??!



    I am leaving the country Oct 4th and would like to bring it with me!
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I think that Apple will deliver us some great products with some surprising choices within them that make more sense over time. That's what keeps us guessing and most of theri choices turn out to be the best ones.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steamboat View Post


    I think that Apple will deliver us some great products with some surprising choices within them that make more sense over time. That's what keeps us guessing and most of theri choices turn out to be the best ones.



    I really hope so cuz I have been holding off for 3 months.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by crocodile

    Apple is doing pretty well by just about any objective standard. Its iPod range is evergreen and continues to raise the bar just as everyone else catches up. The iPhone has been an incredible success, going from a standing start to the world's number 10 handset manufacturer in little over a year. Awesome. Meanwhile, its venerable PC range has soldiered on despite only modest refreshes over a two-year period. As a result, Apple is achieving record revenues, record profitability, has zero debt, hordes of cash and a reputation so strong that thousands of us spend time posting random thoughts on this site when we could be dating Kate Bosworth.



    So what's next? Well, in case you hadn't noticed we're in a recession and people are postponing buying expensive electronics and so on. In fact, nearly all of Apple's competitors are feeling the heat. The last thing any of them can deal with is pressure on their margins. They're just hoping to weather the storm until we can all get access to cheap money again to buy the big ticket tech products we want on easier credit terms.



    But not Apple. Apple is sitting pretty. So what is its likely game plan?



    First up, in case you've spent the first eight months of the year on mars, is that we finally get new notebooks. I am totally confiedent that they'll up the ante and be as amazing as Apple's existing product line-up. Expect faster speeds, thinner body, smaller footprint, lighter weight, longer battery life and all packaged in great design that just oozes class and desirability.



    Then comes the sucker punch: pricing.



    My intuition tells me that Apple will dramatically lower the prices on all of its entry level MacBook models. I believe that when new MacBooks arrive they will come in well below expectations to deliver stunning value and quality. It's going to create a market buzz that will terrify other vendors.



    I think this is going to cause a 'tipping point' effect where Apple grabs a substantial market share. At the moment they've clawed back to around 10-12%, but i expect this to double over the next year to around 20%.



    While raw pricing should have a significant effect, I also believe that Snow Leopard is going to drive a recovery of corporate customers. So while Apple will experience a short-term downward pressure on margins, longer-term it will continue to grow through the sheer number of customers migrating from PC brands to OSX.



    I think the new MacBooks will come in at very attractive prices, I'd say substantially below $800. I also expect a hefty price-cut on the MacBook Air.



    I think this is the strategy that's going to throw a 'brick' through the Windows of Redmond.



    But, hey, this is just guesswork based on what I've seen and read. But don't be surprised if this is exactly what happens.



    This is the time. M$ is virtually on the canvas. And their partners have pressure on margins. Now is the time to put the boot in.



    Cheap-ER entry laptop. Cheap-ER entry desktop.



    Game over.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    When are the new macbooks coming out?? I broke the screen on my Macbook and am using an external monitor, waiting for the new ones. Anyone know when they are coming out?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    kestralkestral Posts: 219member
    That's what I want to know as well. The two "best case" scenerios for me are:



    1. MacBook Air gets a Firewire port, ability to expand RAM and HD, and a big price drop.



    or



    2. New MacBook doesn't offer much in the way of new features, mainly cosmetic changes, so then I get a refurb of the current 2.4ghz black MacBook at a massively reduced price.



    The most ideal would be scenerio #1.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docdowney View Post


    When are the new macbooks coming out?? I broke the screen on my Macbook and am using an external monitor, waiting for the new ones. Anyone know when they are coming out?



    I have heard October 14th.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I think the new MacBook will appeal to anyone who liked the MacBook Air but needed with more ports. It should be lighter and thinner than the existing MacBook, taking it much closer to the Air in overall design. it will also have a 13" screen.



    In fact, the new MacBook should be an almost perfect notebook computer, so much so that some people will say what's the point of the MacBook Air? But if the Air price gets dropped substantially, maybe those trade-offs in features versus thinness won't matter so much.



    We all know the future spec of the AIr (ULV Montevina 1.6 Ghz and 1.86 Ghz and at least a 128 Gb SSD option and a 120 Gb HDD. What we don't know is the price. If I were Apple, I sure would be knocking a few hundred dollars off it.



    The big, big question is will the MacBook and MacBook Pro merge into a single design of machines offering 13", 15" and 17" models, with Pro being the highest end chip model?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post


    I have heard October 14th.



    Thats the day we are all waiting for



    ___________________

  • Reply 15 of 16
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tewks View Post


    So how come when I went into Square Group, a respected premium retailer in the UK, they said that the prices are likely to increase???



    Mate, I've been in the Apple Premium Reseller scene for a while, and sorry to say, the so-called premium resellers in London, at least at the retail level, are nothing compared to official Apple Store Retail.



    In any case though, they were being honest. Prices in Australia, UK, Europe are most likely to increase. This is because the AUD, £, Euro have all dropped like a freakin' ROCK against the US Dollar.



    So I don't think there will be a price cut for outside the USA, either more or less the same or a slight increase. Due to economic conditions, though, I think outside the USA they will try very hard not to increase prices.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    What can I say, except I agree 100%. Apple just focuses on the business fundamentals and it will survive all the madness. Consumers that are smart will choose valuable offerings that Apple has for their needs, and selected valuable quality 3rd-party accessories.



    Apple and said consumers can then enjoy the fruits of their common sense while they watch the rest of the world burn.



    Some people should *never* buy any Apple products, for example if they are in deep debt trouble. Others, should by Apple stuff because they waste too much money on crap gadgets.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post


    Apple is doing pretty well by just about any objective standard. Its iPod range is evergreen and continues to raise the bar just as everyone else catches up. The iPhone has been an incredible success, going from a standing start to the world's number 10 handset manufacturer in little over a year. Awesome. Meanwhile, its venerable PC range has soldiered on despite only modest refreshes over a two-year period. As a result, Apple is achieving record revenues, record profitability, has zero debt, hordes of cash and a reputation so strong that thousands of us spend time posting random thoughts on this site when we could be dating Kate Bosworth.



    So what's next? Well, in case you hadn't noticed we're in a recession and people are postponing buying expensive electronics and so on. In fact, nearly all of Apple's competitors are feeling the heat. The last thing any of them can deal with is pressure on their margins. They're just hoping to weather the storm until we can all get access to cheap money again to buy the big ticket tech products we want on easier credit terms.



    But not Apple. Apple is sitting pretty. So what is its likely game plan?



    First up, in case you've spent the first eight months of the year on mars, is that we finally get new notebooks. I am totally confiedent that they'll up the ante and be as amazing as Apple's existing product line-up. Expect faster speeds, thinner body, smaller footprint, lighter weight, longer battery life and all packaged in great design that just oozes class and desirability.



    Then comes the sucker punch: pricing.



    My intuition tells me that Apple will dramatically lower the prices on all of its entry level MacBook models. I believe that when new MacBooks arrive they will come in well below expectations to deliver stunning value and quality. It's going to create a market buzz that will terrify other vendors.



    I think this is going to cause a 'tipping point' effect where Apple grabs a substantial market share. At the moment they've clawed back to around 10-12%, but i expect this to double over the next year to around 20%.



    While raw pricing should have a significant effect, I also believe that Snow Leopard is going to drive a recovery of corporate customers. So while Apple will experience a short-term downward pressure on margins, longer-term it will continue to grow through the sheer number of customers migrating from PC brands to OSX.



    I think the new MacBooks will come in at very attractive prices, I'd say substantially below $800. I also expect a hefty price-cut on the MacBook Air.



    I think this is the strategy that's going to throw a 'brick' through the Windows of Redmond.



    But, hey, this is just guesswork based on what I've seen and read. But don't be surprised if this is exactly what happens.



Sign In or Register to comment.