Word compatibility wrt images between Windows/Mac OS

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This must be a common problem but I can't find the solution. I made a document in Word 2004 on my Mac that has a bunch of screen shots in it. When I open it on a windows computer the images don't show. It want quicktime and a decompressor. I guess I could install it, despite that face that QT is up to date on the winblows computer, but if I send this doc out to others THEY may have the same problem.

There's got to be a way to resave this doc so that it saves the images in some format that Word can display without a QT decompressor.

Anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    You could print the document to a PDF in Office 2004, if you don't want to edit the document.

And what version of office do you have on the Windows machine?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Well I don't want a PDF I want a word doc.

After some more internet hunting it turns out that when this happens you're basically hosed. QT is used when an image comes from Mac OS into Word. I assume MS is not converting it to a native format. I was able to fix it by copying the images, deleting them, pasting them into GraphicConverter, copy them again and paste them back into the Word doc. Good thing it wasn't too many images.

What a PITA MS is.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    It may have been that they were .png images - Windows apps don't have good support for PNG. This is one big problem with Explorer because it doesn't support transparent PNGs natively. Compressing to JPG should be ok. GraphicConverter has a good batch compressor. Just use 80-90% JPEG and it will help keep your file sizes low.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

... QT is used when an image comes from Mac OS into Word. ...

What a PITA MS is.

The problem is worse than you know. I first saw this problem some years ago with TIFF images. As you may know, TIFF is the standard for scanned images. However, Word:win displayed a warning that it needed QuickTime to display TIFF because it is an "Apple format."

If you want to share files between Macs and Windows, then the safest bet is to convert your graphics to JPEG or BMP. If your recipient has Acrobat--and most do--then that should work, as well.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

The problem is worse than you know. I first saw this problem some years ago with TIFF images. As you may know, TIFF is the standard for scanned images. However, Word:win displayed a warning that it needed QuickTime to display TIFF because it is an "Apple format."

If you want to share files between Macs and Windows, then the safest bet is to convert your graphics to JPEG or BMP. If your recipient has Acrobat--and most do--then that should work, as well.

I know. The fact that Windows Word can't display TIFFs is horseshit. I'm sure it's intentional in order to hurt Apple's image. It's so annoying.