OS X and CD Burning

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This is one area where I'm totally discussed with Apple.

Apple just released an update for OS X for CDRW support and once again hoping that it would show support for my Que Fire 24 x 10 x 40 but once again I was disapointed. iTunes says no supported CD burners found. This is stupid. For something that's soooooo simple for PCs Apple has made this complex.

I've had this burner since Oct. of last year and haven't used it once ( $ 349.00 ). For those of us who bought a G4 450 back 2000 ( at which time I might add most PCs came with a burner built in ) and paid plenty for it I guess you have to be really careful which burner you buy.

Come Apple this is extra stupid.

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    get <a href="http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html"; target="_blank">cdrtools</a>. then u can commandline burn ur cd-rs and cd-rws (and if u had a dvd-r/ram u could burn those too). there are also gnome and qt fronts for cdrtools. so ur 350 hasn't gone to waste. or sell it and get a supported burner.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    This looks a little complex. But thanks for the tip. The point being it shouldn't be complex at all.

Selling an old burner might not be that easy and I would probably have to take a loss.

The point goes right back to : This is Apple, it should be easy! I really shouldn't have to fool around with comand line stuff. At the time this was ( in an Apple only store ) the best burner they had. The damn thing is even styled after a G4 of the time. They assured me it would be supported. QPS is a major company. I'll probably have to get a La Cie or an Iomega and throw this in the closet where 10 years from now it'll be trash ( maybe already is ). Sorry but this really makes me mad! There really is no excuse for this Apple!

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 11
    we had that with Que USB writers too, I'm sure Apple would have fixed it long ago if it was that simple ? maybe QPS isn't too interested in the mac market...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Get Toast.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Apple has always had a list of supported CD burners on there site. It's not Apples job to provide drivers for every single CD burner ever, That's the manufactures job.

I went for the cheapest burner I could find (Light-on internal) It has anti skip, is 'burn proof' and has worked flawlessly with both OSX & OS9's built in CDR tech.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Get Toast.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've got Toast Titanium. Let me tell you my tale about this..........Toast Tianium as it comes out of the box has to be intstalled in OS 9 first then you upgrade with an downloadable patch to work in OS X. Lame to start with but plausible.

When I intsalled this in 9 my computer crashed and 9 would no longer boot properly ( it would get to the part where the Hard Drive icon shows then stop with Nortons little disk light going forever ). Not to be left out X now won't shut down or restart ( only after using an internet application ). You get to the blue screen and the spinning wheel and it just stays there spinning away like it's going to shut down.....forevever. The only way to shut down is to push the reset button and when it reboots don't use any internet apps and you can shut down normally. Otherwise X seems normal in all other aspects.

This is the wierdest problem I've ever had on a Mac. I think it was a extension conflict in 9 that started this but I didn't have any wierd 3rd party extensions active. I dumbed it down to 9.2.2 All and it works fine again.

I know that Toast replaces some of the authoring extensions ( which it did just fine ) but replacing them doesn't have any effect.

In short I'll be damned if I can find the problem. I'm almost to the point of wiping the hard drive and starting over. My only hope is that when I get the full version of Jaguar that running the installer will fix what ever is damaged in X.

I'd have all of my important stuff backed up on CDs but, this problem started because I can't burn CDs in X. I'm not sure about transposeabilty from X to 9 when backing up in 9. By the way OS 9 shuts down normally even after an internet app so I think hardware as a problem can be ruled out. This is very confusing and I'll be glad when I'm back to one OS on my HD ( this may happen when and if I wipe everything ).

If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix this it would be much appreciated. I have a G4 450, 640 Mgs of RAM , and a Radeon Retail card. 9.2.2 and 10.1.5 .

By the way Toast in X shows no supported burner. I bought this from a store that only sells Apple here in the Northwest " The Computer Store ". They suggsted taking the burner in and seeing if the problem is the burner itself but I haven't got a chance to do this yet.

[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 11
    warpdwarpd Posts: 204member
    [quote] " The Computer Store ". <hr></blockquote>

HEY!!! I used to work there!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by warpd:

<strong>

HEY!!! I used to work there!!!! </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's what it's called. No kidding. They were an Apple franchise store a long time ( here in the NW ) before The Apple retail store. Generally a good place.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    jimmmac, I don't quite understand why you bought that burner in the first place when it was clear that it wasn't supported at that time (there has always been a public list of supported burners at apple.com). Even if you didn't know about the list, why didn't you sell the burner again, rather than leaving it untouched and moaning?

As to Apple, it's not their responsibility to write drivers for third party hardware AT ALL. They can volunteer to, and might profit from that (more market share). But if they don't want to, cannot, consider it too much of an effort, or have any other reason for not doing it (or not yet), that is their decision.

As to Toast, I haven't tried burning with it, but the app launches and seems to work. Disc Burner and iTunes Burning work great too. This is on an iBook with an integrated Toshiba combo drive.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>jimmmac, I don't quite understand why you bought that burner in the first place when it was clear that it wasn't supported at that time (there has always been a public list of supported burners at apple.com). Even if you didn't know about the list, why didn't you sell the burner again, rather than leaving it untouched and moaning?

As to Apple, it's not their responsibility to write drivers for third party hardware AT ALL. They can volunteer to, and might profit from that (more market share). But if they don't want to, cannot, consider it too much of an effort, or have any other reason for not doing it (or not yet), that is their decision.

As to Toast, I haven't tried burning with it, but the app launches and seems to work. Disc Burner and iTunes Burning work great too. This is on an iBook with an integrated Toshiba combo drive.</strong><hr></blockquote>

To answer your question at the time ( last October ) not many outboard burners were supported. The guys at the store assured me that they all would be eventually and this was the best burner they had. I just should have avoided QPS. Anyway since then I've been waiting and waiting. But, you figure the best one in the shop would be the best bet. I should have gone for the La Cie.

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I don't know, my 24x Que! burner works fine in OS X, with Toast and iTunes.