Can I Boot from a RAID 1 (mirror) in my G4?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I don't know where I read about this, but I am getting ready to redo one of my systems. Currently it has 2 identical 250GB Hitachies, which use Super Duper every Sunday to backup. I tried doing a RAID 0 back in like 2004 on a system that had 4x60GB. I found out through trial and error and then later reading that you can't boot from a RAID in a Power Mac G4. But like I said earlier I don't know where I read this, but someone stated I could boot from a RAID 1 (mirror) in my Power Mac G4. Is this true? or not? Is it possible to boot from a RAID 1 in a Mac G4 but not RAID 0?

Something tells me this isn't going to work. I have a 10% glimmer of hope that maybe it will just see the drive as a regular drive. This would really be great. If anyone knows the answer to this puzzle please feel free to let me know... thanks.

Laters...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17417

I can't remember if this is where I read about this...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

I don't know where I read about this, but I am getting ready to redo one of my systems. Currently it has 2 identical 250GB Hitachies, which use Super Duper every Sunday to backup. I tried doing a RAID 0 back in like 2004 on a system that had 4x60GB. I found out through trial and error and then later reading that you can't boot from a RAID in a Power Mac G4. But like I said earlier I don't know where I read this, but someone stated I could boot from a RAID 1 (mirror) in my Power Mac G4. Is this true? or not? Is it possible to boot from a RAID 1 in a Mac G4 but not RAID 0?

Something tells me this isn't going to work. I have a 10% glimmer of hope that maybe it will just see the drive as a regular drive. This would really be great. If anyone knows the answer to this puzzle please feel free to let me know... thanks.

Laters...

I don't remember how we set it up in detail (other than there was some manual setting of the raid configuration, but our main server is a G4 running Tiger server with the main disk a mirror of two 250GB disks. - So yes it can be done.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    I successfully installed on a 250GB mirror (RAID 1). So basically the G4 can boot from a RAID 1 but not RAID 0...

So happy...

Laters...