dual 8800 gt cards in mac pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi there,

Had a macbook for a while now, decided to splash out on a mac pro and a mac mini at the weekend. got a pro with 2 x 2.8 quad cores, 8gb ram, and an 8800 gt... Got into work today and i have a mate who has a spare 8800 gt he bought for his PC. My question is will i be able to sli this card, i know you can sli 2 of these cards but that it only works bootcamped under windows.

any info on this would be appreciated.

regards

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdvd View Post

Hi there,

Had a macbook for a while now, decided to splash out on a mac pro and a mac mini at the weekend. got a pro with 2 x 2.8 quad cores, 8gb ram, and an 8800 gt... Got into work today and i have a mate who has a spare 8800 gt he bought for his PC. My question is will i be able to sli this card, i know you can sli 2 of these cards but that it only works bootcamped under windows.

any info on this would be appreciated.

regards

A non-mac 8800 (i.e. without EFI support) will only work under your windows install, not on osx. Additionally, you cant SLI in OSX (at all), and cant SLI 8800s on the mac pro period (including under windows) because the hacked drivers that allowed SLI on the 7300s and such under windows wont work with the 8800s (yet).

(I have 2 apple 8800s in my mac pro, driving 3 monitors at the moment)

Sorry man, you're outta luck with this :-(
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jwdvdjwdvd Posts: 3member
    booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :-(

thanks for the speedy resonse, bad news but heyho eh. cant complain, machine is powerfull enough.