Wired Aluminum Keyboard HELP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I posted this in Current Hardware as well, but maybe this is a Genius problem...

Can anyone provide any bits of knowledge or a stiff adult beverage?

My thin aluminum keyboard on my now sainted Imac (I'm a switcher since 12/07, thank God) was getting a little dirty. I turned it upside down, spritzed some cleaner on it, continued to hold it upside down and wiped it off with a clean cloth.

Plugged it back in, and it's dead as a duck. Well, no that's not entirely true; the USB's on the ends still work for my mouse.

Any ideas? Any clues on how to get inside it if all else fails? Can anyone recommend a good bar that's close?

Anything would be sooo appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    batbat Posts: 47member
    Yikes! Spritzing stuff on or near your computer is never a good thing. Let the KB sit and dry out for a couple of days and pray.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Simple electronics like a keyboard tend to withstand liquids surprisingly well. Even being washed in a dishwasher. Being plugged in before they are really, *really* dry inside can kill them, though. That's why, if you notice a spill happen, the first thing to do is to yank the cord.

If waiting does not result in a working keyboard, wash it with water, let it dry properly (a day or two) and try again. The idea being that the cleaner has left some conducting material behind while evaporating, and the water will wash that off. Obviously this won't work if the components are already fried, but if that is the case there's no more harm to be done either.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,463member
    Unfortunately the keys on Apple's aluminum keyboards are glued on and cannot be picked out for cleaning.

So I've heard on other blogs.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Not being able to remove the keys doesn't prevent washing, though. It just needs more time to dry.

If moisture gets in, it's bound to get out as well.