Macbook - Urban Terror

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've had the sudden urge to play some games lately. And my pc is currently not in fit condition to do so (i.e a bit broken). So I downloaded 'Urban Terror' (a free standalone mod of Quake III Arena) for OS X as I thought it would run acceptably on here.

However, as soon as encounter other players in the map my framerate plummets to about 8, and trying to do anything in the game is impossible (and I'm using the lowest settings). I am connecting to servers with which I have a decent ping also.

I've played Spore in OS X on here quite smoothly and I know someone else with a near identical Macbook who can play HL2 acceptably.

I've a November revision white Macbook.

Leopard 10.5.5

2.0 ghz Intel Core Duo

4gb Ram

and the GMA X3100 integrated graphics.

Anyone know what's up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HugoM View Post

I've a November revision white Macbook.

2.0 ghz Intel Core Duo

4gb Ram

and the GMA X3100 integrated graphics.

Anyone know what's up?

First thing I would check is the minimum system requirements of the game, if available. Probably the Macbook is around there.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hugomhugom Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

First thing I would check is the minimum system requirements of the game, if available. Probably the Macbook is around there.

For quake III "3D graphics accelerator with full OpenGL support, Pentium II 233 MHz or AMD 350 MHz K6-2 processor or Athlon processor, 64 MB RAM, 8 MB video card, 500 MB of free hard drive space, 100% DirectX 3.0 or higher compatible sound card, CD-ROM drive (600 kB/s sustained transfer rate)"

I think the minimum specs for urban terror should just be slightly higher.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Is this a universal binary or PowerPC having to run under Rosetta?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Is this a universal binary or PowerPC having to run under Rosetta?

No idea, how do I find out?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

No idea, how do I find out?

Just click on the application icon in the Finder to select it and then cmd-i to see the file info. In the window that will open it says if it is UB or PPC that will run under Rosetta.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Just click on the application icon in the Finder to select it and then cmd-i to see the file info. In the window that will open it says if it is UB or PPC that will run under Rosetta.

It doesn't say it's UB or PPC.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong icon. It says it's universal.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

It doesn't say it's UB or PPC.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong icon. It says it's universal.

Hm, so you don't have the serious performance hit that experience the games running under Rosetta.

The specifications for the game (Quake III at least) correspond to quite old hardware, so the MB should do just fine. Unless for some reason Urban Terror is much more demanding than we think here. And of course there is always the possibility of X3100 drivers issues.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Hm, so you don't have the serious performance hit that experience the games running under Rosetta.

The specifications for the game (Quake III at least) correspond to quite old hardware, so the MB should do just fine. Unless for some reason Urban Terror is much more demanding than we think here. And of course there is always the possibility of X3100 drivers issues.

It's recommended to have more ram for Urban Terror (which I have plenty of).

People with ibooks have been able to play this with upwards of 50 frames. I know people with the GMA 950 who can play in the 70-90 range. Is there a way to rectify any driver issues?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

People with ibooks have been able to play this with upwards of 50 frames. I know people with the GMA 950 who can play in the 70-90 range. Is there a way to rectify any driver issues?

It seems to be as I feared. If it is indeed the X3100, then I am afraid nothing can be done, unless Apple posts driver updates.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

It seems to be as I feared. If it is indeed the X3100, then I am afraid nothing can be done, unless Apple posts driver updates.

Thought as much. I had read about about it, posting here was a last resort.

I'm getting really pissed at Apple. A lot of hardware issues. Least with a PC I was able to find a fix for all my problems. With this Macbook there are several unfixable things that are just not acceptable for the price.