Scanner drivers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It's the one area that seems to attract a deafening silence. Do they exist for OSX? My needs are humble ... a Canon 1220U ... go on, they're all built in to 10.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    search version tracker for the drivers

low-fi
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Canan only offer drivers for X Classic mode. Just wondered if there's a particular issue with scanners.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    You can get VueScan (http://www.apple.com/macosx/gems/vuescan.html) Your scanner is on the list of supported scanners.

I have used this program. It is fine under OS X.

P.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    [quote]Originally posted by ajaysongs:

<strong>It's the one area that seems to attract a deafening silence. Do they exist for OSX? My needs are humble ... a Canon 1220U ... go on, they're all built in to 10.2.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I THINK Canon finally released the drivers for the 1220u too. I know they did for the 1240u (since I have it). BUT they will only work with Photoshop 7. I havent tried GraphicConverter.

In any case, I use VueScan. No problems whatsoever. Bless that guy's soul.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by philrobin:

<strong>You can get VueScan (http://www.apple.com/macosx/gems/vuescan.html) Your scanner is on the list of supported scanners.

I have used this program. It is fine under OS X.

P.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have VueScan. Great product! Well worth the $. Needs a little UI tweaking (perhaps some Apple-izing). Apple should buy this guy out. Give him a job. Set their UI guys loose and bundle this as part of X...perhaps integrated w/iPhoto.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Thanks guys

Andy
  • Reply 7 of 12
    woozlewoozle Posts: 64member
    I dont see the value in vuescan ( yes it works great ), because it costs half of what my scanner cost ( cannon 670 ).

I downloaded the OSX beta drivers from canon, which work pretty well ( they have crashed a couple if times ).

The big issue is the lack of support for scanning as an operation in OS X. I want to store my photos in iPhoto, but you cant import from a scanner.

As a result I use graphic converter ( the only shareware program i could find to do scanning ) and my scans are scattered everywhere but iPhoto.

I hope canon get of their asses and release the final driver at some point. It has a neat multi photo mode ( put 3 photos in the scanner, and get three straightened images out ) that graphic converter doesnt support - or just doesnt work.

I dont know where you can find them, but they are out there ( and its not the photoshop plugin for OS X ).
  • Reply 8 of 12
    In Jaguar (10.2) the "Image Capture" app has a button in the preferences that says "When Scanner Button is pressed, open following app..." And you get to choose what application starts or applescript gets activated.

Unfortunately, my Canon 1240u does seem to do anything with Image Capture. I set it so that when I pressed a scanner button it would open VueScan. Alas, nothing at all happened with any of the buttons pushed.

Does anyone know if there is a list of supported scanners? Havent actually bothered looking around
  • Reply 9 of 12
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Here's a list of all the scanners that will work in OS X according to the Macintosh Products Guide:

CanoScan LiDE 30 USB Flatbed Scanner

Brother MFC-9030

CanoScan LiDE 20 USB Flatbed Scanner

EPSON Colorio Scanner GT-9300UF/GT-8300UF/GT-7300U - Flat Bed Scanner

Epson Expression 1600 Series

Epson Stylus Scan 2000

ES-6000H Scanner

ES-8500H Scanner

EverSmart

EverSmart Pro

HP LaserJet 3200m Printer-Fax-Copier-Scanner

HP OfficeJet D135

HP OfficeJet G85

IRIS Business Card Reader II

Lexmark X73 All-in-One Print Center

Lexmark X83 All-in-One Print Center

Microtek ArtixScan 1100

Microtek ArtixScan 2020

Microtek ArtixScan 2500

Microtek ArtixScan 4000T

Microtek ArtixScan 4500t

Microtek ArtixScan 6000XY

Microtek ScanMaker 5700

Microtek Scanmaker 6700

Microtek ScanMaker 8700

Nikon Coolscan IV ED

Polaroid SprintScan 120 Film Scanner

ScanWit 2740S

Super Coolscan 4000 ED

Super Coolscan 8000 ED

Umax Astra 6400

Umax Astra 6450

That's only 32. Very sad.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Son of Pismo:

<strong>Here's a list of all the scanners that will work in OS X according to the Macintosh Products Guide:

CanoScan LiDE 30 USB Flatbed Scanner

CanoScan LiDE 20 USB Flatbed Scanner

</strong><hr></blockquote>

oh dont tell me that its gonna be a case of "only latest hardware supported". I have the 1240u (the LiDE 30 is the new version of it) and I dont have support... WTF.

10.2.1 or soon better bring more scanner support
  • Reply 11 of 12
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Well, maybe that means only 32 scanners are supported out-of-the-box. Check Cannon's web site to see if OS X drivers are available for your particular model.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    This is a response I got from Canon.

"Thank you for your email regarding OS 10.x drivers for the Mac.

Due to the complexity of testing the functions of the scanners with the new operating system the current range of scanners do not support Mac OS X. This is to ensure that when Canon release a new scanner driver, it will meet the expectations of our customers. Although the current scanners do not support OS X, they should operate in "Classic" mode.

Push button (where applicable) is not supported under "Classic" mode.

Mac OS 9.x drivers are available from <a href="http://www.canon-europa.com/software/software_downloads"; target="_blank">www.canon-europa.com/software/software_downloads</a> or <a href="http://www.canon.co.uk."; target="_blank">www.canon.co.uk.</a>

Please keep your eye on the Canon UK (www.canon.co.uk) web site and as soon as there is a driver available we will have a direct link from the front page of the canon website to the scanners download section".