Got a new Mac..do I HAVE to restore iPods?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just got a new iMac and I was wondering if I HAVE to restore to factory settings and re-sync all my music. Is there any way that I could sync all my iPods without having to start from scratch?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnobn View Post

I just got a new iMac and I was wondering if I HAVE to restore to factory settings and re-sync all my music. Is there any way that I could sync all my iPods without having to start from scratch?

I am assuming that your iPods are all synced to the same iTunes library.

Copy your iTunes folder from your old Mac to your new Mac, replacing the iTunes folder. When you start up iTunes you should find everything the way it was on you old Mac. Now sync up your iPods like you always have been.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Actually, when you started up your brand new mac it should have given you the opportunity to bring over all your old stuff to the new system from your old system. If you did this, your old library would recognize your iPod as belonging to that library and you would be up and running.

If you opted to not bring over all your old stuff, it is not too late. You can still do this by using the Migration Assistant.

Simply navigate to Applications>Utilities>Migration Assitant.

Run the migration assistant and follow the directions to bring over all your old stuff to the new system.

R