Mac BBS'ing - Let's Bring It Back!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So, you've heard about this old thing called BBS'ing, you've got a spare Macintosh sitting around that isn't serving any particular purpose at the moment, and so you've decided to take a blast into the past, and set up your own BBS. There's only one problem...where do you find Macintosh BBS software? You've looked around a bit, but have for the most part come up empty-handed.

Well let me come to your rescue.

I ran a Macintosh FidoNet-connected BBS during the 1990's, and even ran my own conference.

Just recently, I set up my BBS again. Over time, I've collected just about every BBS program that was ever written for the Mac...and now you can have access to it too. Maybe you will get inspired and decide to set up your own Macintosh BBS!

Check out what I've got:

ANSI & ASCII Related

BBS'ing Info Documents

bbs100 3.0 OSX

FirstClass

Hermes External Writing

Hermes Externals

Hermes Program & Docs

Hermes Utilities

MacCitadel 1.3b 68K

Mailers Offline QWK Readers

Mansion BBS 9.5.6 68K

Misc. BBS Utilities

Modem Tools

MUBBS

Nally 1.2 Leopard

Novalink - NovaTerm

Pancake

Public Address

Red Ryder

Second Sight

StarBase7 1.3b 68K

TeleFinder

Telnet Clients

Terminal Emulators - ZTerm, GLterm, DataComet, etc.

WWIV 3.0 - July 1988

Zonch

If you're interested in any of this hard-to-find software, all you have to do is log on to my BBS, the Armageddon BBS, using your favorite telnet client. If you're a Mac OSX user, you definitely want to use the latest version of SyncTERM. Yeah, it's Windowish-looking, but it's the best telnet client out there for displaying real BBS ANSI graphics.

If you're still using Classic Mac, then the best deal is using the Public Address BBS software in telnet mode. If you don't have it, I have a special stripped down version available on our BBS.

So come and check us out! Post a few messages, play an old game of LEECH 2000, or check out my icebreaker external called "Get-To-Know-You". And if you know Python and/or Jython, I could REALLY use your help.

To access the Armageddon BBS, just use port 23 and telnet to:

endtimeprophecy.org

Hope to see you soon!

Jeff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Awesome (in theory)...! But, what's with the end-time prophecy stuff? I'll avoid.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Awesome (in theory)...! But, what's with the end-time prophecy stuff? I'll avoid.

Isn't that being a little narrow-minded, SpamSandwich? I don't see you making any serious effort to revive Macintosh BBS'ing. Unlike SpamSandwich, thus far, we've had 26 open-minded new members since setting up the BBS again recently.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff Snyder View Post

Isn't that being a little narrow-minded, SpamSandwich? I don't see you making any serious effort to revive Macintosh BBS'ing. Unlike SpamSandwich, thus far, we've had 26 open-minded new members since setting up the BBS again recently.

I can think of about a dozen of reasons to avoid BBS-ing. Mostly security and legal related. Many of those old programs have library related holes large enough to drive a truckload of malicious intent through. They were written in a far more unsophisticated day. To me it's not worth the risk, especially with a domain name that suggests fringe associations up front.