Gefore 9300 based mini tower comming?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Nvidia's GeForce 9300

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...730i,2044.html

Looks like a nice desktop chip that apple can use a in the mini tower

With on board video and 1 x16 with 2 x1 pci-e slots useing the other 2 pci-e lanes for wifi and firewire.

So you can have a desktop staring at $600+ with on board video with add in video cards on top of that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Nvidia's GeForce 9300

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...730i,2044.html

Looks like a nice desktop chip that apple can use a in the mini tower

With on board video and 1 x16 with 2 x1 pci-e slots useing the other 2 pci-e lanes for wifi and firewire.

So you can have a desktop staring at $600+ with on board video with add in video cards on top of that.

Apple can, but what make you think Apple will want to use it to produce a mini tower?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Apple could have made a machine exactly like that any time in the past. They haven't.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Here's an idea: Everyone needs to stop posting topics with question marks at the end, unless there are actually some facts to back up the rumor they just started by doing so.

The chip itself making its way into Apple computers is very possible, I guess.

But what is this mini tower that you're talking about? Is there any evidence of that anywhere?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ssassa Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xTxRxAxVxIxSx View Post

Here's an idea: Everyone needs to stop posting topics with question marks at the end, unless there are actually some facts to back up the rumor they just started by doing so.

The chip itself making its way into Apple computers is very possible, I guess.

But what is this mini tower that you're talking about? Is there any evidence of that anywhere?

I skimmed through the article and didn't see anywhere that it mentioned Apple was even interested in using this chip for anything, nevermind using it in a mini tower.

If Apple were to introduce a standalone in between the Mac Pro and the Mini I have a feeling it would be some type of HTPC in a home theater form factor chassis. The closest I could see them coming to a minitower is that they might do some type of slimline media center, but even that seems like a real stretch considering that the desktop market has seen stagnant or negative growth in the last 5 years. Any new desktop Apple would introduce would have to be something rather unique as opposed to yet another minitower, which virtually everybody who sells desktops already offers.

Even my theory of a HTPC is pretty theoretical insofar as Apple seems more interested in investing in the AppleTV, which while not an HTPC is a fairly nice little like box for the price point. It certains has some issues(fairly small HDD, heating issues, no official support for 1080p content, etc.), but Apple would be more likely to update the AppleTV to resolve these issues before they introduce a HTPC that be a financial failure.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSA View Post

I skimmed through the article and didn't see anywhere

Even my theory of a HTPC is pretty theoretical insofar as Apple seems more interested in investing in the AppleTV, which while not an HTPC is a fairly nice little like box for the price point. It certains has some issues(fairly small HDD, heating issues, no official support for 1080p content, etc.), but Apple would be more likely to update the AppleTV to resolve these issues before they introduce a HTPC that be a financial failure.

Apple may want to make a run at tivo and ture2way is slowing them down.

apple wants a system that work and does not want to get in to the cable card mess.