Apple needs a consumer 15-inch MacBook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
While I didn't have much of a qualm with Apple introducing the new aluminum MacBook at $1,299, I thought they made a huge mistake by offering another model at $1,599 with the same size 13.3-inch display. This higher end MacBook should have had a 15-inch display. I don't know whether Apple felt it might interfere with MacBook Air sales or something. But when you have an average consumer that wants a bigger display, they shouldn't be forced to pony up $2,000 for MacBook Pro, especially when an equally equipped 15-inch system from competitors can be had for the same price as the introductory 13.3-inch model at $1,299. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's mentioned this to someone working at Apple, including their executive team. I'm more than positive that I'm barking up the wrong tree here and Apple doesn't really care what people want. After all, if they cared about what people wanted they would also offer a matte display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

... I'm more than positive that I'm barking up the wrong tree here and Apple doesn't really care what people want. After all, if they cared about what people wanted they would also offer a matte display.

I would think that by the amount of MacBooks Apple's selling, they understand the market quite well. Just because a minority of customers want FireWire on the MacBook (myself included) doesn't mean that the larger majority of customers will not miss or care about FireWires absence. Same goes for matte vs. glossy.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I think that, now that both Apple laptop lines are using basically the same design, you may get what you want. Picture this:

Six months from now:

The $999 plastic Macbook is discontinued

The current $1299 model drops to $1099

The current $1599 model drops to $1299

A new $1599 model is introduced- using the same 15" case as the MBP but without a discrete graphics chip or a Firewire port.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I think that, now that both Apple laptop lines are using basically the same design, you may get what you want. Picture this:

Six months from now:

The $999 plastic Macbook is discontinued

The current $1299 model drops to $1099

The current $1599 model drops to $1299

A new $1599 model is introduced- using the same 15" case as the MBP but without a discrete graphics chip or a Firewire port.

at $1600 it should have 128-256 of video ram and it will have room for firewire or ExpressCard.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

at $1600 it should have 128-256 of video ram and it will have room for firewire or ExpressCard.

I agree, but Apple clearly feels otherwise, and I don't think they're going to change.