Can someone help me? Trackpad/Freeze Probs.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi!

The first time I bought a macbook 2 yrs. ago, I was soooooo excited, and when I got home, it was like, this really cool moment ( I was a poor student, who had invested a lot of thought in the decision) and after charging it for a few minutes, I went to start it. NOTHING. No lights, flashes, beeps, burps, NOTHING. I took it back, and they reimbursed my cab fare for having to come back to the store (though I pretty much demanded it, since there was no possible way I screwed up the computer since I hadn't even started it!). Happy days until....

Fast forward a couple years.

My husband keeps annoying me, and I, him, over use of the computer, so we decided to get another, the new version (glass/aluminum) last night. I spent a few hours setting up my preferences, downloading programs, etc. I loved it. This morning I woke up early (On a Saturday? Unheard of!) to play with it. Sure as sh*t, it freezes on me. The cursor is over the apple, so by hitting return, I am able to select things from the menu, on a limited basis, but damn! The trackpad won't respond. I would very much like to take a ballpeen hammer to it and see if that does the trick.

I love macbooks, but what are the chances of getting TWO lemons. This makes me really sad. It was very expensive, Now it is going to be a weekend affair. (We go to the 5th Ave. store in NYC, which is a perpetual Gong Show). The apple people are very sweet, and always very helpful, but the inconvenience is wearisome.

OK so I ranted....HERE is my QUESTION. What can be done by using any of the toolbar options at the top of the opening screen, and with a keyboard. I can't "click" or "tap" anything, so I have to resort to arrow keys and the Return key.

ANY SUGGESTION?

Thank you for your consideration!

Kim

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Well Guys, don't go crazy with the responses!

I called Apple Care, and this nice guy in Indiana walked me through doing an entire hard drive overhaul with the provided installation disk. The cursor moved when I used a USB mouse, but that was a quick fix, while we did the reinstallation. It worked!

I used the computer yesterday, and everything was peachy. Shut it down last night, and when I turned it on this morning....SAME PROBLEM. Cursor is stuck in the top left over the apple, and trackpad won't work.

Here's my new question....I am going to the Genius Bar tonight. Should I just get a new, new macbook, or tell them F-it, and get the old white one, which I feel more comfortable with at this point and save some money?

What would you do in my situation? Stick with the devil you know? Or the one you don't? I would really appreciate some opinions here.

Thanks!

Kimberly