Recommend me a printer

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking to buy a decent inkjet printer, so that I can print out my (graphic design) portfolio.

I've been looking at an HP 7480, and a couple of Epson printers.

The problem is that none of the dealers are able to show me any actual print samples! Do you guys have any inkjet printers that you could recommend?

I've already budgeted for genuine inks and the recommended papers...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I'm looking to buy a decent inkjet printer, so that I can print out my (graphic design) portfolio.

I've been looking at an HP 7480, and a couple of Epson printers.

The problem is that none of the dealers are able to show me any actual print samples! Do you guys have any inkjet printers that you could recommend?

I've already budgeted for genuine inks and the recommended papers...

Epson, Canon and HP are all pretty close as quality is concerned. I guess the you have to make the choice based on:

1) Resolution needed

2) Prices of ink as per maker as these make a huge difference

3) If speed is a factor then you should consider that too

I have used Epson, Hp, Canon, Dell and FujiXerox..... the 3 I mentioned are almost identical, it depends mainly on your needs. Maybe if you have a couple of models in mind I can give you a feed back on them.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    How often are you going to be printing? I used to have an A3+ inkjet printer but decided to abandon inkjet printing at home because I didn't print often enough and the cost of ink was astronomical. I've now got a colour laser printer for document printing (much lower running costs, faster print out and higher-quality for documents) and use online printing services for images.

So, have you checked out online print services?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I'm basically going to be printing a book of my portfolio ? so the image quality has to be top notch.

I want to be able to version, assemble and print the book 'on demand' ? so digital printing (HP Indigo etc.) is out.

I managed to get a loan of an Epson R200 from a friend. It's a six colour inkjet (CMYK + light cyan & light magenta). A set of printer cartridges costs more than a similar all-in-one printer/scanner/copier new.

I loaded it up with glossy paper, and I can't believe how good the print quality is. The print quality of these devices must have come on leaps and bounds whilst my back was turned.

The prints are FAR better than anything I've seen coming off even the latest litho presses. Essentially everything I'm doing is out of process, but even really small type looks as though it's been printed litho with special colours.

Likewise the full-colour gamut is incredible - way beyond what can be achieved by process. It's the first time I've seen oranges coming out of process that look orange, rather than a muddy brown.

I'm really, really impressed with this little printer!

I'll probably end up getting an A3 version at some point, and HP look as though their consumables are more economical than Epson's. It remains to be seen if the HP printers can match the quality of the Epson printers, however.