320gb, 7200 rpm, 16mb Hard Drive for new MacBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am a 12" PB holdout who finally capitulated to Apple's ongoing commitment not to build a small pro portable. I could no longer wait, maintain my hope against all odds, and yet still preserve a sane connection to reality (of Apple's marketing). So I purchased a 2.4 GHz 4GB MacBook and hope to replace my firewire devices with satisfactory USB replacements at a reasonable additional cost.

I want to replace the standard hard drive with a 320 GB, 7200 rpm, 16 MB cache model and, of course, this is not offered as a build to order option.

It seems to me that the way to go is either Western Digital's Scorpio or Seagate's Momentus 7200.3.

Does anyone here have a suggestion as to which model? Or another? And/or as to whether I will be able to detach the cover from the stock drive and use it on a new one (I've read that for the MacBook Pro this is not possible)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Don't know about the MBP question but for the drives, both are good. The differences are very marginal... In typical desktop apps (from reviews I've seen), the WD should be ever-so-slightly faster and quieter, and the Seagate will use ever-so-slightly less power (like .25 of a watt less).

They're so close you might consider buying whichever one is cheaper, but otherwise I think the WD has a -slight- edge on paper.