Question on Memory of the NEW Macbooks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was going to buy the new macbook with the base 2 Gig memory and THEN buy another 2 Gigs cheaper from crucial to bump it up to 4 gigs.

But I wanted to find out first if the base 2 gigs of memory are on one chip or split into 1 gig chips?

IF it's one 2 gig chip then it'll be cheaper to upgrade by buying another 2 gigs from crucial.

IF the base 2 gigs are split using two 1 gig chips then it'd just be cheaper to upgrade to 4 gigs thru apple.

I can't seem to find any info on it. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

I was going to buy the new macbook with the base 2 Gig memory and THEN buy another 2 Gigs cheaper from crucial to bump it up to 4 gigs.

But I wanted to find out first if the base 2 gigs of memory are on one chip or split into 1 gig chips?

IF it's one 2 gig chip then it'll be cheaper to upgrade by buying another 2 gigs from crucial.

IF the base 2 gigs are split using two 1 gig chips then it'd just be cheaper to upgrade to 4 gigs thru apple.

I can't seem to find any info on it. Thanks.

Check out the memory on: http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...?co=MTkzOTI0Mw

2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x1GB

4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB [Add $150.00]

You would have to replace the 2x1GB with 2x2GB. OWC has the 2X2GB for $133.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgr...=Show+Upgrades

4.0GB(2x2.0GB Kit) PC-8500 DDR3 1066MHz SO-DIMM 204 Pin Memory Upgrade Kit with Lifetime Advance Replacement more $132.99 plus $.50 insurance plus shipping ?

For the difference of less than $17, would it be worth it to go to the trouble of buying, changing, etc.?

True, you would have the original 2x1GB in case anything happened to the 2x2GB. Also, I think OWC rebates a few dollars upon receiving the original memory.

BTW, AI members, has this happened before: Apple's memory prices (almost) in line with outside vendors? What can they be thinking?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

BTW, AI members, has this happened before: Apple's memory prices (almost) in line with outside vendors? What can they be thinking?

Apple is, for whatever reason (probably to avoid confusion), charging the same prices for DDR3 as it was for DDR2.

This is a good thing for now, but DDR3 prices are going to drop a lot next year, and I wouldn't expect Apple to change its pricing.