How to use your T-Mobile Blackberry for Internet Access via Bluetooth on Leopard

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have just spent many hours trying to connect my Mac to my Blackberry Curve so I can use my T-Mobile USA service for internet on the go. As no one set of instructions I found had the answers, it took quite a bit of experimenting to get it right.

Since it was such a PITA, I thought I would cough up the secrets.

This should work on many newer blackberry models but has only been tested on the T-Mobile Blackberry Curve.

Prep your blackberry.

Goto: Menu/Options/Advanced Options/TCP

Enter the following settings:

APN: wap.voicestream.com

USER: "guest"

PW: "guest"

Save the changes.

Now you need to set up a link to your blackberry via bluetooth in the bluetooth control panel. Remember to click the "discoverable" box on your mac.

Click the plus sign on the bottom left to add a device.

Select Mobile Phone from the list.

Follow the instructions to pair the two devices.

Download these modem scripts to your Mac: BlackBerry 3G Scripts

Copy the three "3G" files into your Modem Scripts folder. Hard Drive/Library/ModemScripts

Open up the Network control panel.

Click the plus sign on the bottom left to add a connection.

Select "Bluetooth PAN" from the pulldown menu. Name the connection T-Mobile Bluetooth or whatever else you want to call it.

Configuration = Default

Telephone # = wap.voicestream.com

Account Name = Guest

Password = Guest

Click the Show modem status in menu bar box.

Click on the Advanced button.

Click on the Modem tab.

Vendor = Other

Model = Blackberry 3G CID1

Click the enable error correction button

Dial mode = Wait for dial tone before dialing

Dialing = Tone

Sound = On

Click on the PPP tab.

Settings = Configuration

Deselect the "Send PPP echo packets" box

Click OK

Close the preferences window.

Assuming you paired your phone correctly, you can now dial out on your T-Mobile blackberry.

Click on the little telephone Icon at the top menu bar on your Mac.

Select "Connect"

You will now link up to the TMO Edge network. Not fast, but beats paying wifi roaming fees!

BEWARE: Depending on your rate plan you may have to pay for your data!

On T-Mobile I have a Blackberry Data Plan and I get xx amount of megabytes included with my plan.

Internet on your computer sucks up data much faster than on your berry! If you use this a lot, you may want to adjust your plan.

Dial 611 on your cell phone to double check with customer service if you are not sure.

If they mail you your next bill in a box, don't blame me!

Note: Your internet will not work while you are on the phone, but you don't have to turn off the link to use the phone.

Corey

PS: ATT users, this script should work for you as well but I don't know the line you need to add into the telephone field.

You'll need to check with the death star for details.

I am told that ATT makes you buy a separate "tethering" rate plan but I do not know this for sure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    I'm not sure why but AI ate the link in the last message to get the scripts.

You need to go to taniwha.org.uk and download the 3G blackberry scripts.

Either move all three scrips into your modem script folder or just move the "blackberry 3G CID 1" into the Library/ModemScripts folder.

I have been putting the files directly into this folder, but it may work if you simply move the whole folder.

I just did this same install for a friend of mine and the whole thing took almost an hour!

If the install doesn't work the first time, keep messing with it. It will work eventually.

Corey
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Yet another correction to the above instructions.

Where it says "Select Bluetooth PAN" above, ignore that and select "Bluetooth" instead.

Has anyone else made this work? I have now done it on three mac's, all T-Mobile USA and all with blackberry curves so I am curious if anyone else has had any success.

Corey
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Login Data for German Vodafone

Prep your blackberry.

Goto: Menu/Options/Advanced Options/TCP

Enter the following settings:

APN: wap.vodafone.de or web.vodafone.de

USER: " "

PW: " "

Save the changes.

Open up the Network control panel.

Click the plus sign on the bottom left to add a connection.

Select "Bluetooth" from the pulldown menu. Name the connection Vodafone Bluetooth or whatever else you want to call it.

Configuration = Default

Telephone # = wap.vodafone.de or web.vodafone.de

Account Name = "vodafone"

Password = "vodafone"
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I could not get this to work. The telephone icon in the menu bar just scrolls "Authenticating" continuously.

I am not sure whether this is supposed to allow my BlackBerry to dial a specific service provider (in which case this is no good) or use my existing data stream, as I have unlimited data access already.

I am using a Blackberry 8800, T-Mobile USA and Mac OS X 10.5.5.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I could not get this to work. The telephone icon in the menu bar just scrolls "Authenticating" continuously.

I am not sure whether this is supposed to allow my BlackBerry to dial a specific service provider (in which case this is no good) or use my existing data stream, as I have unlimited data access already.

I am using a Blackberry 8800, T-Mobile USA and Mac OS X 10.5.5.

You have the account setting set to "guest" right? If you are reaching the "authenticating" part you are really close!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I followed your instructions and got tethering to work on T-Mobile BB 4.5, Macbook Pro via Bluetooth.

Many thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Many Thanks! Paired perfectly with my TMo Curve. Again, thanks
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Why even try? Just throw that crap phone on the trash and buy an iPhone. They are going for cheap these days.