I believed the hype and now I am dissapointed

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Bought 7 copies of 10.2 expecting to really benefit from "Quartz Extreme" and whilst scrolling is definetly better and the connect to server works properly now (It should have worked this way in the first place), however I am dissapointed.

I have not found that applications launch faster and the difference in the GUI is not that great. The improvement is not as much as it was with moving to 10.1 This OS has been hyped and I agree it is an improvement my initial reaction is one of dissapointment. If this is a fast as it gets it is a poor comparison to OS9.

The question is... can we expect further optimisation with future releases?

The good thing is that nothing seems to have broken as a result of the upgrade, but I understand that it won't work with my HP G85 printer so I can't install it there yet, can anyone confirm this?

Sherlock is US-centric despite setting my counter as UK, I can only find movies in the US, 'enter city and zip'. Does not recognise locations outside the US. Yello pages will not find anything even in the US, bizarre!

But worst of all each finder window DOES NOT REMEMBER IT"S SETTINGS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,436member
    <screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech>

Stop right there. It doesn't do us ANY good to hear about your issues until you let us know about the Installation. Did you clean install OS X? I keep reading on how this makes a big difference.

Also keep in mind Quartz Extreme is not an accelerator. It offloads GUI functions to the AGP card .FREEING the proc to do other things but as with everything YMMV.

See another thread about OS X 10.3 for "Window memory" tips.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    <screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech> * 2

Might also be helpful to tell us things like:

Hardware:

CPU

Memory

Drive Size

Drive space free

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 23
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    howdy.

is the "archive install" the same as the "clean install" as it comes to the issue touched on above?

hurry hurry. i am installing in 8 hours
  • Reply 4 of 23
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    [quote]Originally posted by Addison:

<strong>

I have not found that applications launch faster and the difference in the GUI is not that great.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are aware that Quartz Extreme has nothing to do with how fast apps launch, right? Just making sure. On my iMac 800, app launch speed is drastically improved over 10.1.5. You neglected to mention which Macs you were running 10.2 on, so I can't really compare. I don't know what sort of differences in the GUI you were expecting... maybe fireworks going off every time you go into a menu or something? The GUI is definitely improved, but it's not necessarily obvious.

[quote]<strong> The improvement is not as much as it was with moving to 10.1 This OS has been hyped and I agree it is an improvement my initial reaction is one of dissapointment. If this is a fast as it gets it is a poor comparison to OS9.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with your install. It depends on the machine you're installing onto, I guess. Do a clean install and try it again. I ran into this issue myself - 10.2 initially didn't seem to me to be as fast as I expected. I did a clean install and it made a universe of difference. Now it's genuinely fast for most things.

[quote]<strong>I understand that it won't work with my HP G85 printer so I can't install it there yet, can anyone confirm this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, I don't have an HP G85. All I can tell you is that Jaguar works fine with every HP laserjet printer I've tried it with.

[quote]<strong>Sherlock is US-centric despite setting my counter as UK, I can only find movies in the US, 'enter city and zip'. Does not recognise locations outside the US. Yello pages will not find anything even in the US, bizarre!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yellow pages works fine for me. I can't comment on the other things like movies in the UK.

[quote]<strong>But worst of all each finder window DOES NOT REMEMBER IT"S SETTINGS.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do this: Open a Finder window. Set it how you want it to stay. Close it, then open it again. It should be how you set it previously.
  • Reply 5 of 23

<strong>Bought 7 copies of 10.2 expecting to really benefit from "Quartz Extreme" and whilst scrolling is definetly better and the connect to server works properly now (It should have worked this way in the first place), however I am dissapointed.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

What is the difference between a good movie and a bad? Your expectations going in.

• Reply 6 of 23
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    try changing a 100MB indexed color tif file to a 240 MB RGB tif file.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    what's it suppose to do BigC?

is QE used in the conversion automattically If qe is installed?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Wait a minute.....Back up..........Beep....beep....beep.

(sorry, had to do it)

I find this version of the OS Drastically faster than

10.1.5 in most respects....

...and that's on a B/W G3/450.....

..waiting for a 17" iMac --- Yea. it'll kick on that too.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by John Fischetti:

<strong>Wait a minute.....Back up..........Beep....beep....beep.

(sorry, had to do it)

I find this version of the OS Drastically faster than

10.1.5 in most respects....

...and that's on a B/W G3/450.....

..waiting for a 17" iMac --- Yea. it'll kick on that too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do your hardware take advantage of QE?

It seems like this round is for the G3.

Anyone tried it on a Pismo?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I have installed this on two 15" LCD iMacs 700mhz combo and one iMac DV450+. All G4 iMacs have 256k ram and the DV450+ has 512mb. Obviously the G3 iMac does not support QE. All the machiones have lots of free space on their HD's.

As I have said scrolling is much faster but no where near as fast as in OS9.2 none of the installs were 'clean' I ran them as the default upgrade.

I'm dissapointed because I really thought that this upgrade would have put the GUI speed back in the league of OS9. Don't get me wrong I know I have to have this upgrade because it is the future and there are lots of new things comming that will depend on having 10.2 & the stability of OSX is just magic. I would Never go back to OS9 I really love X, but I think that this upgrade has been over hyped.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by Xaqtly:

<strong>

Do this: Open a Finder window. Set it how you want it to stay. Close it, then open it again. It should be how you set it previously.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope doesn't work for me, I already tried that. each window does remember wether I want coloumn or icon view but not the window size, it is so irritating.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Several reviews of Jaguar have commented that speed increases are there and one says it's as fast as OS 9 (Gene Steinberg of MacNightOwl), so I guess it's not the same for everybody. Anyway, anticipation is always more than what you get. You learn as you go on in life to take everything with a "grain of salt". Nevertheless, Jaguar is getting great reviews from both PC and Mac writers. It's an on-going thing.... upgrades and changes will continue (and they'll be free no doubt). The world isn't perfect.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    i haven't loaded 10.2 yet but isn't doing a clean aclean install much easier than it was in say 8.5 etc?? how do you do a clean install with 10.2? i assume there is an option when you install?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    The HP G85 is an ink jet multi-function device, not a laser. I have found the link <a href="http://www.thinksecret.com/news/jaguarissues.html"; target="_blank">here</a>

All my lasers work well except the QMS330 there just isn't a driver for this machine yet, the stupid QMS web site has just got the OS9 PPD and it doesn't work properly under X.
  • Reply 15 of 23

Nope doesn't work for me, I already tried that. each window does remember wether I want coloumn or icon view but not the window size, it is so irritating.
    <hr></blockquote>

On my upgraded iBook, I have this same problem (as in 10.1.x).

On my install+archived G4, this problem went away.

The biggest benefit I've seen is my iTunes 3.0 frame speed went up, but I think something was hosed in my original 10.1.x setup on my iBook.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    [quote] On my install+archived G4, this problem went away. <hr></blockquote>

interesting.. this seems to be the ticket (archive-&gt;install)
  • Reply 17 of 23
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    [quote]Originally posted by keyboardf12:

<strong>what's it suppose to do BigC?

is QE used in the conversion automattically If qe is installed?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Did take a couple of seconds now it's almost immediate.

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: Bigc ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 23
    If you install and archive do you have to re-install all your applications and settings?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member

<strong>If you install and archive do you have to re-install all your applications and settings?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No most things are done for you, but some files you do have to move yourself. MacWorld has a good step by step.

<a href="http://www.macworld.com/2002/10/features/install.html"; target="_blank">http://www.macworld.com/2002/10/features/install.html</a>;
  • Reply 20 of 23
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    I am on my Pismo (PowerBook G3 [firewire], 640 MB RAM, 400 MHZ) running JAGUAR, and I must say that I'm not impressed by it. I am shocked and tingling inside!! This upgrade is amazing. My machine feels much faster. Everything is somewhat faster, and most things are a LOT faster.

I found a few "buggie" behaviors when doing a direct install initially, however, I'm on a clean system now. I agree the difference is tremendous, and I have found no problems at all so far. All my devices are suported (HP Deskjet 640c, iomega CDRW, iPod (duh!)).

I have never had so much fun updating my system in my life. OS X has come of age, and it is truly impressive and complete now.

At worst, my run of Jaguar is almost as fast as OS 9 on my machine, and at best, it kills previous OS versions. Copying files is very fast now. Graphics are so much improved that I find myself smiling and shaking my head from being so impressed by it.

I'm not sure what the person who started this thread expected from 10.2, but I expected a lot myself and find myself not disappointed in the least.