What should Apple Do?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I think the increase of Mac Market Share in US and Advert of PC and Mac has finally woken up the sleeping Giant - Microsoft. No one would doubt their power and ability. Since they have all the talents and experience. And Windows 7 seems like some huge improvement.

Compare to previous version of Windows, where Microsoft just copy bits and pieces from Mac OSX, this time Microsoft decide to copy A LOT OF THINGs from OSX. From Task Bar, Jump List and layout.

Previously, it doesn't matter. Because M$ has a habit of copying features and make it worst. But this time around M$ actually copy and make it better!. ( What a change LOL )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,343moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

this time Microsoft decide to copy A LOT OF THINGs from OSX. From Task Bar, Jump List and layout.

Previously, it doesn't matter. Because M$ has a habit of copying features and make it worst. But this time around M$ actually copy and make it better!. ( What a change LOL )

I don't see the improvements to be honest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qqoooN0Pbc

It looks just like Vista. The animations are clumsy and the whole theme looks pretty ugly.

The eye candy is not what makes OS X such a good system either, it has a very powerful unix core, which Windows doesn't have and will likely never have. The problems it fixes over Vista are problems Vista shouldn't have had in the first place given how long it took.

Snow Leopard is going to be ahead of what Windows 7 will be because for one thing, Windows 7 won't be out until 2010. Snow Leopard will be here over 6 months before that and as always, Microsoft are trying to catch up to what OS X is now.

Here are some detailed notes of the most recent Snow Leopard release:

http://news.worldofapple.com/archive...le-seed-notes/

The hardware plays a part too so I don't see that Apple have anything to be worried about.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I don't care about eye candy, and Vista's system stability is perfect on my desktop so far.

In my eyes, Vista's real problem is that the user interaction is still as mediocre as it was in XP/2000. What I see on the video is no better. More widgets and more lipstick.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

I don't care about eye candy, and Vista's system stability is perfect on my desktop so far.

In my eyes, Vista's real problem is that the user interaction is still as mediocre as it was in XP/2000. What I see on the video is no better. More widgets and more lipstick.

+++

I recently bought my dad a new pc, he didn't want to learn Mac, with Vista.

It is very stable so far. But I find its not as user friendly as OSX.

Maybe Win 7 will be better. I think it will do better in the market than Vista because the drivers for Vista are now mature and IIRC, Win7 will use the same drivers. The upgrade experience for XP and Vista users needs to be better than what it was with Vista. I heard horror stories from people who tried to upgrade to vista from xp. Not pretty.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    apple should put out mac os x for all and if they do that with 10.6 before windows 7 comes out then M$ maybe in a bad place.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Years ago a colleague summed up Apple and Windows users like this:

Mac users: Continually believe that Apple will 'get it right' *next* time, holding out hope despite evidence to the contrary.

Windows users: They just know it sucks, and are resigned to their fate.

Somewhere along the way, Windows users picked up the hope that Mac users used to have... while Mac users seem to enjoy the 95+% that Apple nails... and have no hope of that last 5% getting fixed.

Then again, I'll take 95% right and no hope, over 50% right, and endless frustration, any day of the week.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I'm not sure what this post is asking but I'll comment anyways.

Vista is way more secure than OS X and that's just fact. Any comparisons to a Unix core is pointless.

OEMs continue to put pressure on MS to change the GUI so that people feel they're getting something new. MS bows to this pressure which is why you basically have 3 different GUIs in 2000, XP, and Vista. Apple has maintained the Finder, Applications folder, Users, System Preferences, etc for decades. Plus, the marketing machine that is Jobs is priceless.

Apple should continue down the same path and not try and do it all. By Ballmer's own admission MS is involved in too many markets (Ballmer was specifically speaking about MSNBC when he made that remark). Apple partners with companies that can fill gaps or needs in there business model where MS tries to create subdivisions to fill those gaps.

Apple's end-to-end experience is what is driving their success. MS has vowed to compete in that arena but only time will tell.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,484member
    Well, Apple will just have to continue to advance the OS X, don't they?

There is so much room for improvement in OS X it isn't funny. Snow Leopard's huge modifications to the OS internals is a good start to improve the foundation. The next step is improving the UI. There's so much that could be done there. I think that app menus in the MenuBar is an old and crusty UI convention showing its age in our gigantic display, multi-display setups. It's negatively affecting usability. Apple should make everything a pop-up contextual menu. Just thinking about doing that will be a gigantic effort. The Finder obviously needs some fixing (though I think it is better than Windows Explorer in many ways, worse in others).
  • Reply 8 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I'm not sure what this post is asking but I'll comment anyways.

Vista is way more secure than OS X and that's just fact. Any comparisons to a Unix core is pointless.

*spurblt* You owe me a coffee, mine just sprayed on my screen.

Sorry, what? Care to elucidate on that point?

Quote:

OEMs continue to put pressure on MS to change the GUI so that people feel they're getting something new. MS bows to this pressure which is why you basically have 3 different GUIs in 2000, XP, and Vista.

Funny, I thought it was 'innovation' driving it, now I find it's the OEMs? Wacky, man. Wacky.

Quote:

Apple has maintained the Finder, Applications folder, Users, System Preferences, etc for decades. Plus, the marketing machine that is Jobs is priceless.

Er... you haven't been paying attention if you think the UI has stayed the same for 'decades'. Hell, it hasn't stayed appreciably the same since 10.0.

Quote:

Apple should continue down the same path and not try and do it all. By Ballmer's own admission MS is involved in too many markets (Ballmer was specifically speaking about MSNBC when he made that remark). Apple partners with companies that can fill gaps or needs in there business model where MS tries to create subdivisions to fill those gaps.

On this we agree completely.

Quote:

Apple's end-to-end experience is what is driving their success. MS has vowed to compete in that arena but only time will tell.

Indeed. I don't think they'll be able to pull it off, though. To go all meta, it's not in their DNA.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

There is so much room for improvement in OS X it isn't funny. Snow Leopard's huge modifications to the OS internals is a good start to improve the foundation.

Oh hells yes. They have a tremendous number of exciting pieces under the hood in 10.6 that could hook together in some fabulous ways.

Quote:

The next step is improving the UI. There's so much that could be done there. I think that app menus in the MenuBar is an old and crusty UI convention showing its age in our gigantic display, multi-display setups. It's negatively affecting usability. Apple should make everything a pop-up contextual menu. Just thinking about doing that will be a gigantic effort. The Finder obviously needs some fixing (though I think it is better than Windows Explorer in many ways, worse in others).

So basically they should bring back the contextual menu from NeXT, c. 1986. I agree wholeheartedly.