iPhone won't show on iTunes!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hey,

I'm using the 3g iPhone (2.1 firmware) on my 24" iMac.

It all worked fine, till yesterday - when the phone stopped showing on my iTunes (my iPod Nano is now the only device under the "devices" menu).

I tried everything:

Restarting the phone + my Mac (also shutting down both)

Switching ports

Trashing iTunes + deleting trash + deleting Apple mobile device service + removing the iTunesHelper service and reinstalling it

Nothing worked!

I should note that the cable works fine - it charges the phone, and the same cable makes the phone appear under iTunes just fine, when I use iTunes under Parallels - JUST WEIRD!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Ok I have finally found a solution for this, which does not require restoring your iPhone.

Requirements: A Jailbroken iPhone with Cydia and OpenSSH running & accessible via WiFi.

1. Install a local Terminal software on your iPhone, which allows you to browse your iPhone's Unix environment, and obtain root privileges.

For example you can install "Terminal" with Cydia.

Once inside the Terminal session, become root by typing: su -

Normally the password is "alpine".

2. Now that you are root, type: cd /private/var/root/Library/Lockdown/pair_records

3. Simply erase everything in here, type: rm *

You can now close your Terminal application by pressing the Home button.

4. You should now be able to sync again, without even rebooting your iPhone or restarting anything.

And about those files you erased? No worries, while re-pairing, your iPhone will regenerate those files.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lirandlirand Posts: 174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iwank View Post

I dont got your question exactly. You mean to say like that your iPhone won't show your iTunes?

Right. May be you got answer from below.

The iPhone doesn't appear under the "devices" list on iTunes, so I can't sync it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skaag View Post

Ok I have finally found a solution for this, which does not require restoring your iPhone:

1. Install a local Terminal software which allows you to browse your Unix environment, and obtain root privileges.

2. Once in the shell, type: cd /private/var/root/Library/Lockdown/pair_records

You should now be able to sync again, without even rebooting your iPhone or restarting anything.

And about those files you erased? No worries, while re-pairing, your iPhone will regenerate those files.

Sounds interesting... I opened the terminal app that comes with Leopard, but how do I gain admin rights? (I'm the admin, I just can't get it to ask me for the password) when I try do the "CD" command it just replies with "permission denied"
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

Sounds interesting... I opened the terminal app that comes with Leopard, but how do I gain admin rights? (I'm the admin, I just can't get it to ask me for the password) when I try do the "CD" command it just replies with "permission denied"

I tried entering "su administrator" but when it asked for my password, I entered my regular admin pass - and it replied "sorry"...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skaag View Post

Ok I have finally found a solution for this, which does not require restoring your iPhone.

Requirements: A Jailbroken iPhone with Cydia and OpenSSH running & accessible via WiFi.

1. Install a local Terminal software on your iPhone, which allows you to browse your iPhone's Unix environment, and obtain root privileges.

For example you can install "Terminal" with Cydia.

Once inside the Terminal session, become root by typing: su -

Normally the password is "alpine".

2. Now that you are root, type: cd /private/var/root/Library/Lockdown/pair_records

You can now close your Terminal application by pressing the Home button.

4. You should now be able to sync again, without even rebooting your iPhone or restarting anything.

You're the man! GENIUS!!!