A classic shareware app that needs to be ported to OS X

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Taskmeubar.

This was one of the best classic apps I have ever used. If there are any programmers out there who feel like the can write a similar program for OS X, let me know when it's done. I'll be the first to buy it.

This is what it looks like for classic:

Here's the link to the site that has it:

http://home.netcom.com/~kawahara/taskmenubar.html

Taskmenubar has a lot of features. All I care about is the following:

'Switch, hide or launch applications by mouse clicks on the menu bar.'

'Open files and folders with mouse clicks or via hierarchical menus.'

'Move or copy files to a folder or volume.'

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Is there any reason why you couldn't just do all of those actions using the dock?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

Is there any reason why you couldn't just do all of those actions using the dock?

I've never cared for the dock. For one, it uses screen space. And if I hide it, then I have to do extra work by moving the mouse and then aiming it so that it hovers over a designated area in order to get the dock to pop up.

If you have a version of classic running on an old mac, download taskmenubar and try it out. I am almost certain that you'll like it way better than the dock for switching between apps.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    If dock size is an issue, then just shrink the size of the dock down to about 32 pixels. Pretty much the same size as the menu bar (24 pixels).

I already have enough things on the menu bar already without needing to fill up further horizontal space.

The oldest two working Macs I have are a PowerBook G3 and an iBook. The resolution on them is 1024x768 and 800x600. Trying to squeeze in all my app shortcuts into an already crowded spaced doesn't really work for me - I prefer to use tabbed pop-up windows at the bottom of the screen with app aliases in them.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

The oldest two working Macs I have are a PowerBook G3 and an iBook. The resolution on them is 1024x768 and 800x600. Trying to squeeze in all my app shortcuts into an already crowded spaced doesn't really work for me - I prefer to use tabbed pop-up windows at the bottom of the screen with app aliases in them.

Fair point. But you don't have to use a taskmenubar type app to store shortcuts. You can just use it to switch between apps which is the main reason I want something like it for OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    In case you miss it from the other thread, try out ClawMenu here:

http://www.mparrot.net/index.php?page=downloads&lang=en

If it doesn't do all you need, you can try contacting the developer about how you'd like it to work.