Closing applications

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I just want to know if you think it is necessary to close all running apps before shutting down the Mac ? If I don't close them I can see that the system closes them for me, but is it recommended to do so ? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Anchovy View Post

Hi,

I just want to know if you think it is necessary to close all running apps before shutting down the Mac ? If I don't close them I can see that the system closes them for me, but is it recommended to do so ? Thanks for your help.

AFAIK, it doesn't matter.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    It's basically the same. Unless you have some very poorly written applications that don't save your data before quitting.

One thing you might want to be careful is, if you leave your computer before the shutdown process actually finishes, there might be alert boxes that keep the computer staying on, say, for the whole night. For example, I always forgot to save some files in Dreamweaver before I do Shut Down. As a result, my computer would stay all night on from time to time, because the save dialog nicely canceled my Shut Down request.