What Trojan is this?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Today I found a PC server sitting in my OSX' "Shared" folder, named "vhpzeilt001". It is visible only in 'column view'. It cannot be found using the Finder's Search function. I cannot see how big the file is. I cannot see where it sits on my harddisk. And, as you can see, it claims to have failed to make a connection. To me that also means it did TRY to make a connection.

This thing worries me! Although it does not seem to be active, I don't trust that it REALLY isn't!

This looks like a Trojan to me. Or a Keylogger.

Does anyone know 1) what it is, 2) what it does, and 3) how I can get rid of it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    No, you have it all wrong.

This is a computer on your NETWORK. It is not a shared resource on your Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    This is a Windows computer trying to connect to your network. Not necessarily by your choice. This ma be your neighbors computer. It may not be malicious either, OS X will search for computers on your network and display them.

I would change your workgroup and make sure your wireless network is really locked down. You could also change IP addresses for your network
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Cheers, guys. Turns out it's the other way around: I was accessing the internet via my neighbor's unprotected WiFi net. And it looks like he just came on too.

However, if I can see him, then he can prolly see me...!

But I don't think I can access him, or he me. Anyway, I've got everything buttoned down tight exactly for situations like this.

I'll quickly head back to my own net...

Thanks again.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Excellent.