New Macbook: Backlit keyboard?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am considering whether or not I will get the backlit keyboard model or not. I want to save $300, but I also want to be able to see the keys (within reason).

I like my current PBG4's backlit keyboard, and sometimes find it necessary, however, it does have low contrast silver keys with white lettering. Since the Macbooks have black keys with white lettering, and therefore more contrast, I am wondering if this will improve visibility in low light conditions enough so I won't have to have the backlight.

Do any of you have the new MacBook sans backlit keyboard, and if so what are your impressions of being able to see the keys in a dim (not dark) room?

Thanks~

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    well, my MacBook is actually the baseline one and has no backlit keyboard, but I still am able to see the keys in a dim (not quite dark) room with the help of the screen.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

well, my MacBook is actually the baseline one and has no backlit keyboard, but I still am able to see the keys in a dim (not quite dark) room with the help of the screen.

Hey, I'm a new Apple Owner. I just purchased the new MacBook without the LED backlit keyboard. I wanted the lights, but the store I was buying it from was out of the MacBooks with them. Is there anyway I can add the lights to the keyboard?

Thanks for any help guys!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Apple should mark the non-backlit keys with a luminescent material…
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Do any of you have the new MacBook sans backlit keyboard, and if so what are your impressions of being able to see the keys in a dim (not dark) room?

I have one of the 2.4 GHz models with the backlit keyboard... and it's nice... but as a longtime user of a PowerBook G4 (and G3 before), long before the innovation of backlit keyboards, I've never really found it a bit problem without. If you can touch type (or do some reasonable facsimile without needing to constantly look at the keyboard), then you should be fine without. The screen itself does provide some glow, although it's probably not going to be enough for a "hunt and peck" typist. But if you are a reasonably good at typing, you should be able to get by without backlighting. (As I say, I like it... but it was not a make or break feature for me.)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Well, I went with the non-backlit keyboard model. Loving it so far! I would say though that even with the screen on brightest setting in a dark room, its really hard to see the keys. I know what you're thinking..."Duh, of course you can't see if its dark!" Well, the way screen light can reflect off of plastic, I can see the keys on my PBG4 fairly well with the backlight turned off. With the macbook on the other hand, the white letters must be painted or etched or whetever in non-reflective material. Its not impossible to read, but much harder than I anticipated.

Long story short...if you do considerable surfing/typing in a dark room, especially for work, the backlight is probably going to be essential to minimize eye strain and to just get any work done.

Hope this helps. At this point I am not regretting getting the non backlit keyboard and saving $300

At this point there is one curiosity about my new MacBook, and that is the magnetic latch. On all the white MacBooks I have played with in the past 6 months, they have a very strong magnet, and opening the lid takes a fair amount of effort. With the new MacBook, the magnet seems weaker, not needing much effort. A few users have posted threads that if they turn the macbook upside down while closed the lid will open on its own, and therefore has a very weak or non existent magnet. Mine doesn;t feel that weak, but I'm not sure if mine is normal for these Macbooks, or not. I will be going to the Apple store to compare mine, and I may request an exchange if it still feels too weak. I cannot have my laptop opening while in a computer bag. That's just a recipe for disaster.

Later~