Apple may benefit from slowing economy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

The bottom line for me is just to be patient. I love the HD quality. You can see it in the Movie Preview section at Apple. Those just look so great with my 23" Mac display. I haven't found one DVD yet that can equal that detail and sharpness in those HD previews and I rent many films.

Those previews are very highly compressed, the banding in them is terrible. If that is an example of what HD downloads are like, I will carry on purchasing Blu-ray movies, at least then you get HD sound
  • Reply 22 of 46
    I sometimes wonder how it is that Apple seems to always make the right moves at just the right time. It's kind of scary. Either God loves Apple, or Steve has sold his soul to the devil.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Apple has done very well in their retail stores.

they haven't just done well, they have bested by a large margin every other retail chain in sales per sq. foot. Even if the article's premise is wrong about Apple forging through these economic times, Apple would have to loose an exorbitant amount of business for retail to loose money.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    how about some fanboy "friendly" article AI?

enough said, apple has $25billion, they will survive this economic storm, and even can pay for all the employees for few years on the run ... all the Executives are well paid ...

what is the discount on Thanksgiving day sales on apple store?
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Ed: Let's not do politics outside of Political Outsider.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Perhaps they will do okay, but it certainly isn't reflected in the share price. Falling like the leaves in autumn.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

I love the HD quality. You can see it in the Movie Preview section at Apple. Those just look so great with my 23" Mac display. I haven't found one DVD yet that can equal that detail and sharpness in those HD previews and I rent many films.

If you think the previews are good, then you really have not seen any real HD. The previews are adequate at best. But they are significantly over compressed with a lot of color banding.

I bought a PS3 just for Blu-ray and its media capabilities and I rent my movies using a Blockbuster subscription plan that it actually very good value of money when I consider the rubbish that iTunes HD movies are.

Real high bit rate (1920*1080*24p at ~25Mbps) HD with real lossless HD sound will triumph over iTunes movie downloads any day. The iTunes movies may be fine for watching on an iPod but I would not put one on my large screen TV.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Those previews are very highly compressed, the banding in them is terrible. If that is an example of what HD downloads are like, I will carry on purchasing Blu-ray movies, at least then you get HD sound

I just downloaded a few Movie Previews - at 720p and 1080p from the QT page and when playing them back, I couldn't see any banding-horizontal or vertical. The tones across were very even with no streaking. The only limitations I could see was what the original film stock that was used and how it was converted to HD and the mbps. Some film stock had the grain very much there like Tri-X grain while some other shots during daylight used a finer grain stock and was smoother. Both still had sharpness and when the same preview frame was viewed at both sizes and comparing the same frames at time, it is just like enlarging any image--it is all how the technical come together as in the focus, movement, type of lens, at what zoom it is set, etc. I do admit that these Movie previews are only a fraction of the quality from real Blue-ray. The 1080 plays at just under 10mbps while discs will play at 25mbps as is gratefully mentioned here. An no, I haven't seen a real Blu-ray disc played on a larger HD screen to get the full visual strength and quality, but I can imagine it. It is like the difference of shooting with a 35mm cam vs a Hasselblad. So, I look forward to the real thing. For me these 1080 previews are just a teaser to the potential toward what it can look like and a step up from standard DVDs.

Meanwhile, I will still keep renting my DVDs and play them through my Mac and will eventually rent the Blu-ray with Netflix. Although, I have read that they are starting to charge more now for Blu-ray with a monthly fee. I will have to compare them with Blockbuster regarding that when the time comes when Blu-ray does make to the Mac.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:

I don't think that an increase in downloaded movie sales will power Apple through this recession.

Don't forget that Apple have a tremendous number of retail stores in expensive locations. It'll be interesting to see if the high overhead of operating these stores negatively impacts Apple in the recession. I suspect it will.

Apple has 250 "small" stores with moderate overhead.

BestBuy has 1500+ huge stores with very high overhead.

BestBuy generates $930 in sales per square foot of it's sales floor.

Apple generates $4032 in sales per square foot of it's sales floor.

Apple's stores are very profitable to the tune of 1.3Billion in profit last year.

That is about 6million in profit per store.

What do you think the annual rent for an average size store is?

Quote:

This is an expense that HP, Dell and other pc makers don't have. While I do think that Apple retail stores are a net benefit to Apple I think they will be a double edge sword for Apple. Big benefit during good times and a negative during downturns.

Throw in the expensive product lines and I suspect the next year will be as difficult for Apple as it will be for everyone else.

Apple is an expert at marketing.

Their research shows that many consumers will not settle for a cheaper PCs because of the economy.

Instead they will just wait longer and save up for the Mac they really want.

I think they are right, the tide has changed and more consumers are willing to spend more money to get a Mac.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Their research shows that many consumers will not settle for a cheaper PCs because of the economy.

I think they are right, the tide has changed and more consumers are willing to spend more money to get a Mac.

Then how does one explain the Netbook phenomenon? I think that "Mac consumers" typically avoid the entry level because it's always Apple's most pathetic model but when we take a look at the whole market the low end is pretty robust.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Then how does one explain the Netbook phenomenon? I think that "Mac consumers" typically avoid the entry level because it's always Apple's most pathetic model but when we take a look at the whole market the low end is pretty robust.

Who gives a damn about netbooks, how many netbooks are selling that Apple can even get in and make decent money, if you want a netbook, Apple is not for you.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

Remember the iPod was introduced in October 2001... not exactly the best climate of economic stability and consumer confidence. SJ said then and it still holds true now, Apple innovates it's way out of tough times.

Keep in mind that was coincidental. The iPod project was started at the peak of the heady times, by the time anyone thought there was serious trouble, there was no sense in killing the project.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Quote:

All of these factors helped contribute to Apple's burgeoning coffers of cash, a critical strength required to continue investments in technology research and avoid employee layoffs during times of tightening credit. Many less fortunately positioned companies will either be driven out of business or have to find a stronger partner that can acquire them and fund their ongoing operational expenses.

I sure hope that everyone sold their Apple stock while they could reduce their losses. At $90.12, these stocks are still too expensive considering:

1) Apple's sales are going to be catastrophic for the Holiday Season and throughout 2009 until the world recession and credit crunch recede;

2) Because Apple computers are overpriced by $300, and iPhones come with a $90 a month cell phone contract, Apple products will be left on the shelves in favor of competitively priced items;

3) Hedge funds must liquidate their stake in Apple to meet a November 15, 2008 deadline.

I sure hope that no one believed these predictions of an Apple stock at $250 by analysts who were just speculating.

And, contrary to the paragraph I just quoted, I don't believe that Nokia, Microsoft, HP or Dell are going out of business any time soon. Do you honestly believe that these companies are on the verge of bankruptcy?

• Reply 34 of 46
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Apple has 250 "small" stores with moderate overhead.

BestBuy has 1500+ huge stores with very high overhead.

BestBuy generates $930 in sales per square foot of it's sales floor.

Apple generates $4032 in sales per square foot of it's sales floor.

Apple's stores are very profitable to the tune of 1.3Billion in profit last year.

That is about 6million in profit per store.

What do you think the annual rent for an average size store is?

Compare apples to apples. Best Buy is a only a retailer. They don't design and produce electronic devices. Most other pc makers don't have retail stores. The only exception I can think of is Sony.

I only included the BB link to show that the leading consumer electronics retailer in the US, expects holiday sales to decrease 1-8% yoy. Now even Intel are adjusting their sales projections lower.

Maybe Apple will be able to do what others cannot and continue to increase their sales during this difficult economic period. I doubt it.

Quote:

This will be the time to see if they are correct or not as to whether consumers will pay up fro Apple products. Time will tell.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Were you climbing Mt. Everest last month?

...the original poster knows that the economy is tanking. And, he knows that we've been hearing about it since January. And, he knows the price for Apple stock, has been nose-diving since then. The question is, where in Apple's financial results have any of this macroeconomic downturn shown itself? Apple has had record-breaking quarters, one after another. There's been no iota of evidence of a slowdown in their results. Having said that, that doesn't mean there won't be in the future, but that wasn't the original poster's question. He wants to know why Apple hasn't shown any slowdown to date, even though the scaremongers have been shouting since January.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KenC View Post

...the original poster knows that the economy is tanking. And, he knows that we've been hearing about it since January. And, he knows the price for Apple stock, has been nose-diving since then. The question is, where in Apple's financial results have any of this macroeconomic downturn shown itself? Apple has had record-breaking quarters, one after another. There's been no iota of evidence of a slowdown in their results. Having said that, that doesn't mean there won't be in the future, but that wasn't the original poster's question. He wants to know why Apple hasn't shown any slowdown to date, even though the scaremongers have been shouting since January.

If you listen to Cisco and now Intel, you will see that they are reporting that business dropped severely starting in October. If you look at articles on cnbc and cnnfn you will see many businesses reporting similar activity.

Perhaps Apple and its customers live in a vacuum and are insulated from events that seem to be affecting all businesses in all parts of the world. Perhaps they don't.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:

I only included the BB link to show that the leading consumer electronics retailer in the US, expects holiday sales to decrease 1-8% yoy. Now even Intel are adjusting their sales projections lower.

Maybe Apple will be able to do what others cannot and continue to increase their sales during this difficult economic period. I doubt it.

This will be the time to see if they are correct or not as to whether consumers will pay up fro Apple products. Time will tell.

Yes, and put some context on BB's news. Circuit City is going bankrupt. That's their biggest competitor. Do you know what they are going to do over Xmas? Heck ya, Firedog sale! That means a race to the bottom on pricing so as to liquidate their merchandise, and do you know what that does to BestBuy? Yep, it hits them in the wallet, as they have to compete with CC's going out of business prices. So, sure, who didn't expect BB to adjust their earnings outlook?

Having said that, what is Apple's exposure to BB? Honestly, it's still quite small.

Let's just do some math. BB sells what, iPods, iPhones and Macs. They are in what, 600 stores? Apple has some 30,000 points-of sale for iPods and iPhones. I'm not sure what it is for Macs, but you get my drift.

Let's say BB accounts for 2% of Apple's POS. Do their sales account for 2% of Apple's revenues? Hard to say, but I'm guessing not, but let's use 2% anyway. If BB is down 1 to 8% yoy, what effect does that have on 2% of Apple's sales?

Exactly, 1 to 8% down on 2% of Apple's sales, mean a possible hit of 0.02% to 0.16%. On $10B in sales, that's about $2M or $16M less. Barely a dent in Apple.

Now, you can argue that BB is an indicator for all of Apple retail, but is it? WalMart is a big seller of iPods and they are predicting a strong Xmas. Apple is being conservative, but I didn't hear them come out with an adjustment on guidance.

The point is, BB's news is important, but it has to be taken in CONTEXT!
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:

If you listen to Cisco and now Intel, you will see that they are reporting that business dropped severely starting in October. If you look at articles on cnbc and cnnfn you will see many businesses reporting similar activity.

Perhaps Apple and its customers live in a vacuum and are insulated from events that seem to be affecting all businesses in all parts of the world. Perhaps they don't.

Clearly, you have a problem with reading comprehension. Nowhere did I say anything about the future. The original poster made a question about all the past naysaying and wanted to see evidence. I mean, how is he to know this isn't just a sky-is-falling scenario. You just seem to want to keep spouting your own little rant, without answering the original poster's question. Why quote him, if you aren't going to answer his question.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    And, I forgot to mention the hypocrisy in your posts. In one post, you go on about comparing Apples-to-Apples, and how you can't compare BB to Apple Retail, but the very next post you are talking about Cisco's guidance. How is Cisco supposed to reflect upon Apple? Are they in the same line of business?
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:

Now, you can argue that BB is an indicator for all of Apple retail, but is it?

I would argue it is.

Quote:

WalMart is a big seller of iPods and they are predicting a strong Xmas.

An they are just about the only retailer that is expecting a strong Christmas. Perhaps because they are a low end retailer, no?

If Wal Mart is the only retailer expecting a 'good' Christmas, I would feel that is a BAD sign for Apple. iPods notwithstanding, Wal Mart and Apple don't appeal to the same customer.

Quote:

The point is, BB's news is important, but it has to be taken in CONTEXT!

Look at Intel, Cisco and BB. I think that is CONTEXT.