Apple may benefit from slowing economy

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

Remember the iPod was introduced in October 2001... not exactly the best climate of economic stability and consumer confidence. SJ said then and it still holds true now, Apple innovates it's way out of tough times.

Some excellent perspective there!
  • Reply 42 of 46
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KenC View Post

Clearly, you have a problem with reading comprehension. Nowhere did I say anything about the future. The original poster made a question about all the past naysaying and wanted to see evidence. I mean, how is he to know this isn't just a sky-is-falling scenario. You just seem to want to keep spouting your own little rant, without answering the original poster's question. Why quote him, if you aren't going to answer his question.

Here's the post I responded too:

We've been hearing about this recession for a year now, Apple is supposed to have been affected for a whole year now but their sales keeps on growing, when will they start to get affected?

I've bolded the part I'm responding too. He wants to know when Apple will be affected and perhaps why. I think its obvious to many that economic conditions deteriorated abruptly in October. Sure Apple have avoided the slowdown up till now. I think that will change going forward.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KenC View Post

And, I forgot to mention the hypocrisy in your posts. In one post, you go on about comparing Apples-to-Apples, and how you can't compare BB to Apple Retail, but the very next post you are talking about Cisco's guidance. How is Cisco supposed to reflect upon Apple? Are they in the same line of business?

Fair enough.

So do you think Apple is going to continue to grow earnings in this economic environment?
  • Reply 44 of 46
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

I just downloaded a few Movie Previews - at 720p and 1080p from the QT page and when playing them back, I couldn't see any banding-horizontal or vertical. The tones across were very even with no streaking.

Colour banding, there is a lot of it in the previews. When viewed from my iMac, or from my tv if I view them there

Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

The 1080 plays at just under 10mbps while discs will play at 25mbps as is gratefully mentioned here. An no, I haven't seen a real Blu-ray disc played on a larger HD screen to get the full visual strength and quality, but I can imagine it.

You don't need a large screen to see the difference between a full HD high bit rate video, and a low bit rate video, a 24" iMac is fine to notice the difference
  • Reply 45 of 46
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

My local Apple store on Regents Street, London is always too packed to be worth going into. If this recession hits Apple, I might actually be able to buy something without queuing up for half an hour.

That big Regents Street store is crazy! I like it but I never really understood the Genius idea until I went to an Apple Store somewhere else. Even though they wear the colored T-shirts, you can't see them in the crush.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I sometimes wonder how it is that Apple seems to always make the right moves at just the right time. It's kind of scary. Either God loves Apple, or Steve has sold his soul to the devil.

I'm not so sure that Apple would have chosen to release their current new Macbooks in this economy. But once they had the ball rolling on the new designs the release date pretty much determined itself. Perhaps if Apple could have predicted the economic slowdown, they would have preferred to make more incremental changes, such as just the Nvidia graphics, but save the unibody for better times. I think the white macbook is still around as an attempt to tweak the product line for the unfortunate timing.