Cinema Display quandry...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Before we get started ? I don't want this to turn into another thread discussing the merits of matte vs. glossy. This is a thread for people who know they want matte, and are concerned about recently announced products.

Glassy glossy isn't an option for me, and I'm concerned that after recent releases like the MacBook Pro and the LED Cinema Display, anti-reflective coatings on Pro kit may be a thing of the past. An unbelievable possibility, but Apple doesn't seem to let functionality get in the way of cosmetics these days.

I've currently got two Mac Pros, each with a 23" Cinema HD Display. These are the best displays that I've worked with. I'm concerned that the current generation of Cinema Display may be the last with an anti-reflective coating, and I'm concerned enough that I'm considering purchasing two 30" Cinema HD Displays before they disappear.

Now on the one hand, I could buy the current displays and Apple could produce an update with a matte coating. That update could include the LED backlight, built-in iSight camera and the speakers ? which would be a bummer for me because I really fancy those features.

But on the other hand, Apple could update the displays with a glassy-glossy screen, and if that is the case, there would be every chance that they'd already cleared the channel of existing displays.

What are your guys views on this? Do you think that the Cinema Display will go glassy? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, they could help me with my decision!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    What kind of work do you do? Why would you consider two 30-inch CinemaDisplays within the next three months?

What other brand, given the CinemaDisplays have not been changed for years, comes closest to what you are looking for?

Curious. Do share, maybe we can guide you.

I need a 20" ACD at work (it's a freelance gig for an Apple Reseller, not quite 100% confirmed yet though), getting back into web design, and staring all day at them' pixels shure gives me a headache sometimes.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

...An unbelievable possibility, but Apple doesn't seem to let functionality get in the way of cosmetics these days...

Apple is definitely not dumping the Pro market, however, they are making huge strides in trying to be more "efficient" in the way they deal with the Pro market.

My gut instinct, speculation of course, is that Apple will push the Pro market through Mac Pros and 30" Cinema Displays. Notebooks, iMacs, of course, all glossy. 20" Cinema Display and 23" Cinema Displays are probably on the way out. However, the 30" will be kept until a good 30" LED backlight Matte can be produced. I don't think they will make it glossy, because the glossy one will be more for HDTV viewing, etc.

In other words, my speculative timeline as follows:

24" LED Cinema Display full shipping

--a few months--

20" Apple Cinema Display discontinued

--a few months--

23" Apple Cinema Display discountinued

--a few months--

New 30" Matte Pro Apple LED Cinema Display

Within this timeline, insert at any point, over 35" Apple LED HDTV (Glossy, more for consumer viewing, AppleTV, "xMac" hookup, PS3 gaming, etc. etc. etc.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I'm a graphic designer. I do a lot of large layouts and photo retouching. The size of the 30" Cinema Display is really handy for the kind of work that I do. I've owned a couple in the past, but the early examples suffered badly from uneven backlighting and display anomalies.

I tend to put in BIG hours in front of my Apple Mac ? especially now that I'm a creative director and I have the added responsibility of oversight.

Normally I wouldn't have considered buying a 30" CD in the next three months ? I'm happy with my two existing aluminium 23" CDs. But I'm worried that if I don't move now, matte 30" CDs may not be around for much longer!

I think I'd rather pony-up now and know that I've got that level of display performance for the next three years, than risk a glossy future...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Yeah, I think you need to swap out those 23"s for 30"s ... Just be sure you have a look at a few other setups of friends/associates who use 30"s to be sure that's what you are after.

If your business/income cash flow is okay, and for ergonomic reasons anyway, in my opinion.

If your displays are not covered under 3 year warranties (if it is bought with a Mac Pro or MacBookPro or something to that effect), you need to get the Apple Display AppleCare for 3 years. It's just $99 for the Display AppleCare.

Means that worst-case scenario, they'll try and get parts as much as possible during those 3 years even if it ends up being discontinued, etc. etc.

Just be aware of the dead pixel policy. Though personally I haven't seen any units (out of 20 in the past year) of 20", 23", 30" that had a dead pixel.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Hi, may I ask why you are only considering Apple branded monitors? In the past we have had great quality with Lacie and Eizo. Granted the Eizos can be pricey, but they surpass the Apple monitors in terms of quality, color accuracy, and contrast.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Hi, may I ask why you are only considering Apple branded monitors?

Three reasons:

1. I've had a really good experience with the 23" CDs that I currently own. Whilst I've had quality issues with the Apple 30" Cinema Displays in the past, I'm hoping that they've ironed those kinks outs by now. There's an Apple Store an hours drive from me now, and they've been great with any support issues I've had in the past, so hopefully my displays won't have to get shipped off to Luxemburg now!

2. I've yet to find anything in the same price range that compares. I've never been a fan of LaCie kit, and Eizo kit is, well, expensive. For the cost of a single Eizo CG301W, I can get two Apple 30" CDs, a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT graphics card and 16GB of Crucial Mac Pro RAM ? or an Apple 30" CD and a Mac Pro! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Eizo kit is the best, but I just can't stretch to it at the moment.

3. Given the chance, I'm a neat freak!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I think Apple's other Cinema Displays will go glossy, because unless they bring back the "Studio Display" name, they aren't going to have one line with two different design schemes.

So unless Apple splits their displays into two lines, your choices will be refurbished or non-Apple. And based on price, non-Apple is a much, much better deal (but then it always was).
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I guess the other concern is that SJ said they would be using DisplayPort for everything from now on.

I'm guessing that my Mac Pros wouldn't be able to drive DisplayPort monitors?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

I guess the other concern is that SJ said they would be using DisplayPort for everything from now on.

The Mac Pro update in the near future will include new video cards, presumably with DisplayPort. Those cards will presumably be available separately, like all the past Mac Pro graphics cards have been. What's the point of using PCI Express if not to enable upgrades?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The Mac Pro update in the near future will include new video cards, presumably with DisplayPort. Those cards will presumably be available separately, like all the past Mac Pro graphics cards have been. What's the point of using PCI Express if not to enable upgrades?

From what I've read, right now it's kinda one way. Favouring the side of the notebook. That is, new Mac laptops with DisplayPort can connect to DVI.

But not the other way yet. You can't connect DVI devices to DisplayPort. Meaning AFAIK right now you can't connect the Mac Pro to DisplayPort as above posters mention. Waiting for an upgrade card, that's dicey. As we all know upgrade cards for Mac Pros/ PowerMacs have not always been that quick.