iTunes Genius experiencing difficulties

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Every time I've tried to activate Genius in iTunes over the past month, I get a message that "experiencing difficulties, try again later."

Am I doing something wrong or are they really having problems?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    The problem continues today 11/16/08
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Problem continues 11/17/08 "experiencing technical difficulties. Try again later."

25 viewers, zero replies (other than my own)

OK ... maybe you'd consider replying to let me know that you're signing into iTunes Genius without any problems so I'll know if it's iTunes problem or something on my mac ... thanks
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Looks like you're on your own there....I've never seen that problem. You could try deleting your Genius file, it's in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library Genius.itdb

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dalecollie View Post

Problem continues 11/17/08 "experiencing technical difficulties. Try again later."

OK ... maybe you'd consider replying to let me know that you're signing into iTunes Genius without any problems so I'll know if it's iTunes problem or something on my mac ... thanks

• Reply 4 of 7
    krisbkrisb Posts: 1member
    Hello there,

I used to have the same problem with iTunes Genius: every time I was trying to activate it I was getting the same message (we are currently experiencing technical difficulties blah blah blah). What was even more frustrating though was the fact that this problem was appearing only when I was using my iMac, while everything was fine when I was using my macBook. Having spend several hours comparing the settings of my two machines (which were supposed to be the same since these are connected to the same mobile me account) I found out that the problem was lying in the languages list. More specifically when I moved British English to the top of the Language list in system preferences --> international-->language (I used to have greek in the top position in my iMac) everything started working.

I hope this is going to work for you too if you have any language other than English at the top of your language list.

Kris.

Quote:

• Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Are you trying to increase your post count by posting in such a way?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Deleting Genius from Itunes folder did not work for me.

What worked for me was following: logged in to the store as usual, clicked My Account and My Recommendation and from there I was able to turn on Genius

I found the info from here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1874884
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krisB View Post

Hello there,

I used to have the same problem with iTunes Genius: every time I was trying to activate it I was getting the same message (we are currently experiencing technical difficulties blah blah blah). What was even more frustrating though was the fact that this problem was appearing only when I was using my iMac, while everything was fine when I was using my macBook. Having spend several hours comparing the settings of my two machines (which were supposed to be the same since these are connected to the same mobile me account) I found out that the problem was lying in the languages list. More specifically when I moved British English to the top of the Language list in system preferences --> international-->language (I used to have greek in the top position in my iMac) everything started working.

I hope this is going to work for you too if you have any language other than English at the top of your language list.

Kris.

bumped. had exactly the same issue all day on my mac book pro. the error message hinting a server side error (technical difficulties) was also NOT helpful. When i tried other computers and they were able to connect i became suspicious. KrisB was right. ENGLISH ON TOP of all other languages or genius will fail miserably!