Things I was hoping Jaguar would fix...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
For the most part, I'm pleased with Jaguar. But there are a couple of annoyances that I was hoping would be taken care that still remain.

One is that the Finder still doesn't update open windows or the desktop very well. For example, if I save a file to the desktop, I won't see it appear on the desktop until I actually click on the desktop. If I modify a file, I won't see the size or date change until I either close and re-open the finder window, or click directly on the modified file.

This updating problem is especially annoying in a list of files sorted by date -- you can't really trust what you see unless you either close and reopen the Finder window, or click on each and every file.

Similarly, if I'm looking at a remotely mounted volume, such as a volume shared by my PC, and delete a file, there will be no indication in a Finder window that the file is gone unless I close and reopen the window, or click on the deleted file -- which causes the file to suddenly disappear.

Although I'd prefer smarter automatic updating, at least Finder windows should have a Refresh command (as Windows has) -- but I get the impression that Apple is resistant to the idea.

Another remaining bug can be fairly serious: I can still lock my computer up by inserting a bad CD.

This happens with a UDF-format CD that I'd created on my PC, using DirectCD software. There's definitely something a bit flaky about this CD, since it can only be read properly from the CD/DVD-ROM drive in my PC, but not from the CD-RW drive on which it was originally created.

When I put this CD into my TiBook, it spins up but never mounts on my desktop. The eject menu command is unavailable, and the eject key does nothing. If I try to restart my computer so that I can eject the dead CD (by holding the mouse button down during boot-up), the restart gets in trouble because the Finder won't quit. Force Quit (via the Apple menu or Command-Option-Esc) is to no avail. Eventually I get totally locked up, and have to do a forced power down.

It seems to me that, at the very least, there should be an emergency eject command that doesn't worry about whether a disk was mounted properly in the first place or not -- you should be able to, at a very low level, trigger mechanical ejection of a disc whenever necessary.

A couple of quibbles: There are still times when Get Info won't show a file size in bytes, even when it is showing the file size in KB -- all I'll get is (--) for the size in bytes. Also, little stray black pixels sometimes appear in the dock that won't go away unless I hide the dock or otherwise manipulate it into repainting itself.

Anyone else have a wish list of bugs they were hoping Jaguar would fix, but didn't?

[ 08-27-2002: Message edited by: shetline ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    I agree with you completely. You would think such a fine-tuned system, which I think it is very much so, would be absent of such system peculararities. Also, I am disappointed to find my PowerBook G3 Pismo (firewire) still has no OpenGL support. I would think this support would be at the base system level since the new Quartz subsystem pages out in OpenGL (I think...) now, but my iTunes will not allow me to select "use openGL" to display the visualization.

However, this update is wonderful overall. I just wish such details were worked-out already...go figure...a hard feat to accomplish I guess...