airport in dock?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
does anyone know a way i can get the airport signal strength to be in the dock instead of the menu bar..i want it back the way it was in the origional release of x. is this possible? any software out there that will put it back?

[ 08-27-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Brad would probably be more than happy to dive into this one. It is my far from expert opinion that Apple decided "docklings" were a bad idea, and thus have moved away from them entirely.

As such, moving to Mac OS X.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Hmmm. Last I recall, Apple removed the old Docklings from Mac OS X 10.1 because they ate up too much screen real estate and because Apple switched to the *.menu style additions. However, If you still have a copy of 10.0 sitting around, I can give you instructions on how to extract the AirPort Dockling from the CD. I had read that it still worked fine in 10.1 and suspect it should still work in 10.2 also.

PS. Oh, MD3 Jack, remember you're supposed to change the title of the original *after* you move the thread.

[ 08-27-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    yeah, I completely spaced out on it, and noticed right after I hit the button I knew you had my back though. Wurd
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>Brad would probably be more than happy to dive into this one. It is my far from expert opinion that Apple decided "docklings" were a bad idea, and thus have moved away from them entirely.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

So are docklings "status display" indicators?

I wonder why Apple thinks they are a bad idea when in the dock?

- Mark
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Apple took these things out of the dock for two reasons, AFAIK:

1: they ate up lots of space on the screen if you have a large Dock size.

2: they aren't visible at all times, as the Dock is often hidden.

Some docklings were simply status indicators, like this one. Other third-party docklings had more functionality. You can still use third-party ones.

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Apple took these things out of the dock for two reasons, AFAIK:

1: they ate up lots of space on the screen if you have a large Dock size.

2: they aren't visible at all times, as the Dock is often hidden.

Some docklings were simply status indicators, like this one. Other third-party docklings had more functionality. You can still use third-party ones.

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

You get a big fat warning from OS X when using them though, saying they may not function properly. I'm using the "uptime" dockling, and it doesn't seem to reliably count the minutes anymore... I foresee the day when they will all eventually just not work anymore
  • Reply 7 of 7
    man that stinks...I miss that dockling. They're there as an option, Apple should really leave them in. I wish they'd poll Mac OS X users in decisions like this because it doesn't effect Apple too much.