New iPhone expected before christmas 2008

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The iPhone 3G has been around since July an according to http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

a new one should be launched within days.

The new iPhone should:

1. Have a good camera with more than 8MP, that can also record video

2. Work as a 3G modem for any device

3. Have its own local answering machine

4. Work as a Dictaphone out of the box

5. Bigger drive, less size, additional colors, finger print security ..

What else is missing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carlosantoso View Post

What else is missing?

Common sense.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:

The iPhone 3G has been around since July an according to http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

The new iPhone should:

What else is missing?

Well i think these upgrades makes sense. Except 3-5MP would do it. And

the fingerprint would be lame and unnecessary.

Maybe the local answering machine is also lame. You would still have to have a remote one when you are out of battery or network coverage...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Not. Gonna. Happen.

We'll see a new iPhone in July.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Won't there at least be an announcement of a new iphone at Macworld in January with an eventual release by June or July?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    the OP's list is retarded:

What IS actually a possibility for next June/July besides some sort of leapfrogging advancement in battery sipping?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I didn't look at the link because such guides are useless. Right now it should be obvious that Apples cell business is a one pony show, to remain a serious competitor in the industry they need to change that. The most obvious market they could go after is the people that just need a small MP3 player and cell combo.

Quote:

The new iPhone should:

Again we have people confusing camera quality with the number of pixels it presents. It is a wasteful bit of thread space as many things impact camera quality and in iPhone thickness devices they quality would go down with a higher resolution chip.

By the way movies would be nice but honestly not something I would get real excited about. In any event all the would really need is a sensor suitable for either 720P or 1080P. Even here thee is a lot more than the sensor to make for a viable video camera.

Quote:

IPhone can do this now with the right software! It is just a matter of Apple and AT&T being willing to support it. This isn't a device issue but rather a policy issue.

Quote:

Again a software issue. I do wonder what you think is wrong with the current messaging system?

Quote:

Again a software issue not a hardware issue. Frankly I think there are already apps available that cover that usage.

Quote:

What else is missing?

As someone else implied common sense. Take for instance storage that can only be addressed by advancements in technology or increases in size. It is not like most of us don't want more storage just that isn't as simple to offer up as you may think. Right now iPhone is pretty bleeding edge storage wise, it will likely take another 12 months maybe longer for them to get in on the next process improvement. Of course the option of larger iPhone's is there but they would be a hard sell as a cell.

Now don't take this the wrong way as I would love to see Apple deliver more hardware in the iPhone family, but as a smart phone IPhone isn't badly sized. It can't get much smaller and still use a conventional screen. That is why I think Apple will deliver a MP3 player / cell phone combo that isn't focused on being smart. That "IPhone Nano" will likely be a lot smarter than the competition it just won't be an iPhone class device.

Frankly I see an even bigger upside for Apple if they deliver a larger net centric "iPhone" type device. Bigger simply to offer up more screen real estate. Generaly the thing that makes iPhone difficult on the net is screen width, deal with that and Apple could kill the whole netbook market.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I have a great IPhone application......
  • Reply 8 of 12
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I don't expect a new iPhone for a while. Probably July.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    That buyers guide never takes into account minor updates vs major updates. The middle update wasn't a new version, just more memory added.

There have only been 2 iphone revisions, 2.5G and 3G about a year apart.

The Mac updates are due soon. The iphone will wait for downtime in the Mac lineup and fill the gap. There aren't many things to do with the iphone besides add minor features and drop the price.

Because of that, they need to push the updates out as far as possible.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I would love to have more colors, but what else would they even be able to update besides that?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ^more storage sizes is an easy upgrade.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I didn't look at the link because such guides are useless. Right now it should be obvious that Apples cell business is a one pony show, to remain a serious competitor in the industry they need to change that. The most obvious market they could go after is the people that just need a small MP3 player and cell combo.

Again we have people confusing camera quality with the number of pixels it presents. It is a wasteful bit of thread space as many things impact camera quality and in iPhone thickness devices they quality would go down with a higher resolution chip.

By the way movies would be nice but honestly not something I would get real excited about. In any event all the would really need is a sensor suitable for either 720P or 1080P. Even here thee is a lot more than the sensor to make for a viable video camera.

IPhone can do this now with the right software! It is just a matter of Apple and AT&T being willing to support it. This isn't a device issue but rather a policy issue.

Again a software issue. I do wonder what you think is wrong with the current messaging system?

Again a software issue not a hardware issue. Frankly I think there are already apps available that cover that usage.

As someone else implied common sense. Take for instance storage that can only be addressed by advancements in technology or increases in size. It is not like most of us don't want more storage just that isn't as simple to offer up as you may think. Right now iPhone is pretty bleeding edge storage wise, it will likely take another 12 months maybe longer for them to get in on the next process improvement. Of course the option of larger iPhone's is there but they would be a hard sell as a cell.

Now don't take this the wrong way as I would love to see Apple deliver more hardware in the iPhone family, but as a smart phone IPhone isn't badly sized. It can't get much smaller and still use a conventional screen. That is why I think Apple will deliver a MP3 player / cell phone combo that isn't focused on being smart. That "IPhone Nano" will likely be a lot smarter than the competition it just won't be an iPhone class device.

Frankly I see an even bigger upside for Apple if they deliver a larger net centric "iPhone" type device. Bigger simply to offer up more screen real estate. Generaly the thing that makes iPhone difficult on the net is screen width, deal with that and Apple could kill the whole netbook market.

Dave

No there is no confusion just people wanting a better camera with not such limited functions thats all.