24" iMac/ 1st time Leopard User with a couple questions

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Let me say first that I absolutly LOOOOOVE this machine!

Very crisp, fast, small foot print, etc!

I was however dissapointed with the Wired Mighty Mouse. It feels very cheap, but not to fear, I have a wireless Mighty Mouse on the way.

My 1st big question is,

I moved some pictures from my laptop to an external HD, then to the iMac. I also did this with music, etc. Everything worked great, but one folder when I go to delete it, it tells me I do not have sufficient privliages to preform this task.

Every other file that I delted worked flawlessly

I am the only user, so I am the Admin... I just don't understand?!?!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Myeah, Mighty Mouses are poo imo, I hope to see a replacement at MacWorld...

What is the exact filepath of the folder you are trying to delete? Is this a folder on the external drive or on your iMac? If it's on the external drive it could be because you can't write to NTFS (Windows drives) by default in Mac OSX.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Myeah, Mighty Mouses are poo imo, I hope to see a replacement at MacWorld...

What is the exact filepath of the folder you are trying to delete? Is this a folder on the external drive or on your iMac? If it's on the external drive it could be because you can't write to NTFS (Windows drives) by default in Mac OSX.

it is on my mac, but came from a fat 32 formatted external HD.

I cant even remove the folder from the trash, so its constantly showing its full.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Well, I don't exactly know where the folder is, but left click it, then click show properties or info or something like that, you should get a popup window. The bottom thing in that window should be permissions and sharing (or something like thet, I'm on a Dutch OSX version so I don't know the exact terms).

See if you are in the list of authorised people for the folder, if you are, make sure you have both read and write access. You can edit that litle table by clicking the lock and then changing whatever you want. If you're not in the list click the + after having "opened" the lock.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Ok, i checked the permissions, and it says i can read and write the folder.

yet im still stuck.

in the where category it says it is still on my external HD, but i cannot find it. the only place i can find the file is in my trash can.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    So it's just an empty folder? Try log out and in. If not there used to be a force empty trash option... You could do a sudo rm in the terminal but I'm worried that's not good advice to teach a newbie!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trevowski View Post

Ok, i checked the permissions, and it says i can read and write the folder.

yet im still stuck.

in the where category it says it is still on my external HD, but i cannot find it. the only place i can find the file is in my trash can.

• Reply 6 of 10
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    What's the name of the file. I have a feeling this is a system file left over from Windows that can't be deleted. If you have everything off of your external drive you should use Disk Utility to reformat the drive in HFS+
  • Reply 7 of 10
    the file name is "pictures".

I don't know if I want to reformat this hard drive because i use it to move downloaded music from my laptop to my mac
  • Reply 8 of 10
    OK if it's just the folder and you don't want anything in the folder (if there is anything) then you can launch Terminal (it's in the Utilities folder) and type:

sudo rm -r .Trash/Pictures

Where "Pictures" is the name of the folder (remember Unix is case sensitive). It will give you a warning then ask you to type your password. Then type "exit" and quit Terminal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trevowski View Post

the file name is "pictures".

I don't know if I want to reformat this hard drive because i use it to move downloaded music from my laptop to my mac

• Reply 9 of 10
    I played with it some more last night. I placed folder back onto the external hard drive, then used a windows laptop to go in and delete the file.

All is good now! Thanks for the help guys!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    You can also hold down the Option key when you choose "Empty Trash" to force delete such files. I had to do it myself this past week.