New imacs... should *i* wait?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have no idea what the capabilities of an iMac are, so I was hoping if you guys could help me out. I've currently got an iMac and a PC which I'm growing sick and tired of. I was aiming to get an iMac before mid-December, but I've been wondering whether or not to wait. Based on the iMacs current specs, would you guys say it's worth waiting for a new one, or can the current model help me sufficiently with the following:

- Video Editing

- Windows use

- Heavy internet use

- External hard drives

I'm currently using a HP Pavilion with 1gb Ram and a 3.2 GHz processor. Nevertheless, it's slow, clunky and messy, and I've come to realise that you get better performance from RAM rather then the processor (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I find it). I've currently got my eyes on the 3.06 Ghz 24" model.

I'm aware that the above can be done easily on a current iMac, but would the newer imacs be worth waiting for, or would the updates only give me minor advantages? My main reason for waiting was the rumour of a blu-ray drive, but somebody told me that it was the daftest of all the rumours.

Many thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaychristie909 View Post

I have no idea what the capabilities of an iMac are, so I was hoping if you guys could help me out. I've currently got an iMac and a PC which I'm growing sick and tired of. I was aiming to get an iMac before mid-December, but I've been wondering whether or not to wait. Based on the iMacs current specs, would you guys say it's worth waiting for a new one, or can the current model help me sufficiently with the following:

- Video Editing

- Windows use

- Heavy internet use

- External hard drives

I'm currently using a HP Pavilion with 1gb Ram and a 3.2 GHz processor. Nevertheless, it's slow, clunky and messy, and I've come to realise that you get better performance from RAM rather then the processor (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I find it). I've currently got my eyes on the 3.06 Ghz 24" model.

I'm aware that the above can be done easily on a current iMac, but would the newer imacs be worth waiting for, or would the updates only give me minor advantages? My main reason for waiting was the rumour of a blu-ray drive, but somebody told me that it was the daftest of all the rumours.

Many thanks

with Mac World in early Jan 09, I think I'd hold on, Desktop updates are expected and due.

at the very least you should get that 3Ghz iMac for less cash! which may or may not be worth the wait on its own (spend the same money plus buy more software)
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Thanks Walter. Is there anyone who doesn't think it's worth waiting?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If you think your current machine is slow I'd strongly suggest waiting as you might not get the speed up you are hoping for. Especially if your apps are single threaded or not SMP aware.

Even then realize that Apple hasn't said what is coming. We can all hope for i7 in the new iMacs but we don't really know if that is going in the iMac. What may be worth the wait is an OpenCL compatible GPU. It may end up being a better upgrade than the CPU for many tasks. Of course you would need software that can make use of OpenCL.

In any event the two cent suggestion is to wait.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 12
    its only about 6 weeks.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    With Macworld so near - it would be prudent to delay a purchase until then, if at all possible. Good luck.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Will Macworld say when the iMacs would be released, and does anyone have any rough ideas about when they would be?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Will Macworld say when the iMacs would be released, and does anyone have any rough ideas about when they would be?

Sometimes it's immediate, I would guess this will be the case in Jan
  • Reply 8 of 12
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I hate to be unkind but these sort of questions come up all the time before a Mac World and frankly it gets a bit old. Nobody that can talk about it knows exactly what Apple is up to, nor when the things they are up to will get delivered. Frankly at this point I'd be surprised to find that Apple knows exactly.

Look at it this way the latest monitor and Earbuds didn't come in on time with I'm sure Apples best efforts. Even if Apple wanted to deliver a new iMac with an i7 processors in Jan., that is still 6 weeks away. As we all know "shit happens" and the best laid plans of mice and men go off track.

So yeah there are people that have ideas about when and what but I can assure you they aren't talking at this time. It is the way of a competitive business climate, you can't spill the beans when you are at the top of the mountain. To do so would result in a slip and a quick roll down the mountain.

It is best to simply realize that MWSF is coming real soon now and that there are a number of Apple computers that COULD be updated then. Or maybe not maybe Apple decides to focus on displays, tablets and an iPhone .45. That is a 1911 with a built in iPod/IPhone for all of your social needs.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 12
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

according to this useful link, ALL the Desltops are ready for a refresh, more than ready.

in six weeks time they will all be over due one.

Apple used to announce new product and then announce when it would ship, usually weeks later, however in recent years it is generally "Available TODAY" on the day its announced.. but that is no guarantee of how it will turn out this year, it is a strong indicator.

-

Now, wheres the insanity thread?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Many thanks

If I understand well, your main use for the new machine will be rather personal, meaning you are not in a hurry. If so, then waiting MW2009 is a no brainer. Yes, the current iMac generation is more than capable to handle with ease your needs, and more than that, but waiting has two obvious advantages: (1) you get more for the same money, (2) you will have the chance to buy an iMac of the current generation for less. Decision is up to you.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Now, wheres the insanity thread?

Isn't it a little bit too early for that?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Isn't it a little bit too early for that?

oohhh .. YOU!