Cheapest thing that'll run logic studio 8?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi there. Basically I really want logic studio 8, and therfore am forced to buy some sort of mac. However I have come to find macs are a lot more than I expected.

Bearing in mind, this is the only reason I need a mac, can anyone suggest the cheapest possible way I can have a system which will be able to run logic studio 8 to a fairly decent standard. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Well, I'd say any of the latest iMacs or MacBook Pros. I'd avoid the MacBook Air and MacBooks, partly because their screen real estate is limited.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meddleinthemiddle View Post

Hi there. Basically I really want logic studio 8, and therfore am forced to buy some sort of mac. However I have come to find macs are a lot more than I expected.

Bearing in mind, this is the only reason I need a mac, can anyone suggest the cheapest possible way I can have a system which will be able to run logic studio 8 to a fairly decent standard. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks for the reply, but they're all pretty much the most expensive macs out aren't they? I was thinking of perhaps an older model, just the cheapest possible thing that'll manage to run the software.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Logic Studio 8 system requirements:

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/sys...uirements.html

Minimum spec is:

- Mac computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor

- 1GB of RAM

- Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later

So if you're willing to go second-hand, look for a PoweMac G4 or a Mac Mini on eBay that matches the above spec.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Sorry, I assumed you were going to buy new. Yes, definitely look for something second hand if you can as you'll always get much more bang for your buck!

I'd avoid getting something that barely meets the system requirements though. For example, many of the effects in Soundtrack Pro can be heard in real-time with a sufficiently fast processor. If you don't, It's really annoying to have to apply them each time in order to hear the result. I think any Mac with an Intel processor should do OK.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meddleinthemiddle View Post

Thanks for the reply, but they're all pretty much the most expensive macs out aren't they? I was thinking of perhaps an older model, just the cheapest possible thing that'll manage to run the software.