Address Book in Jaguar-- any uses?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So I started using my address book, and i really like the format and all. I had a few digital images of some top people, so I formatted them 64 x 64, and then I was thinking I would scan in some more. and then I thought, why?

Other than being able to click on the address book icon in mail and going there to look at the pictures, what purpose do they server? Does ANY other application use them?

I've gotten a few emails with their photograph in the top right corner of every email. I read in the Help section that that's what the address is supposed to do. But I've put pictures in the entries of people who have emailed me in the past 24 hours and their photographs don't appear in front of THEIR emails. I guess these people added vcards or something. Is that possible in Mail? Or is there a picture in the top right corner of my emails now just because I've added my own photo to the address book? If so, is there any way to disable it?

I like the idea of syncing the address book with an iPod, but I probably won't bother to try it until iCal is also out. Is there anything significant that Address Book can do NOW? And if so, is there any purpose to the pictures?

Alex.

[ 08-30-2002: Message edited by: Alexander Wilson ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    iChat.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    And if you don't use iChat, there's no use for it?

Alex.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Well, it is useful if you want to keep track of people's addresses and contact info. I mean, those little black books are quite popular. This serves the same purpose.

It's also quite likely that other applications will use it in the future. I mean, Address Book has only been available for a week. Give developers time!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    In theory, any other app should be able to use the central address book, so a future - hypothetical - version of outlook express for OSX might use it, or a reminder app such as iCal might call up a picture of the person you're meeting and so on.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    LDAP server access? Contacts? Who needs those?? Instant access to directions to your buddy's house, future connectivity options...whatever. It's there for convenience.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Like Arbernaut pointed out, the Address Book is just a database with as much arbitrary info added about anyone or any group as you want. It centralizes contacts for any app to tap into, not just iChat and Mail. MS Messenger, Outlook and Yahoo Chat could all use it, maybe even games for network frag fests. The database holds almost any arbitrary kind of info for a person you want to make up.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    One extremly cool feature of Address Book if you have a bluetooth phone is the ability to pair it with the app.

Once you have done this, any text messages will be routed to address book, pop up on screen, and then stored as a note with the contact. You can send them too, and dial the mobile phone (saves you finding the damn contact via a craptastic scrolling list). Great stuff.

low-fi