Why next iPhone needs 802.11n

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It is so important that iPhone have 802.11n. I posted this last June before the 3G model came out but some said that it was not needed. Are there any of you that still feel this way? Especially those who own an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule?

Another device that needs 802.11n is the PS3, but that's a different story all together. The thing is with the PS3 is that you can get a Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter and connect your TiVo/DVR and PS3 with a Hub via 802.11n.

The overall reason is dual band 5 GHz, and having to switch back and forth in the Airport Utility. I know some still may think you can get another 802.11g router and connect both or something clustered like that, but for me right now I have problems with my 3 next door neighbors. Sometimes my 802.11b/g/n 2.4 GHz setup gets clogged by the three other Wireless setups they have in their homes. When I switch to Dual Band on my Airport Extreme I never have problems finding my network.

Now, I understand that for right now this would be an awesome setup 300 Mbps and no interference per say, but in about 3-5 years my neighbors would probably get upgrades for their wireless and have 802.11n, but these problems probably will not exist with 802.11n.

I am not asking for a petition or anything but just positive thinking by people to understand WHY the iPhone needs 802.11n.

Laters...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Okay. I see what you're getting at- too much interference on the 2.4GHz channels. So putting n on the iPhone would open up the 5GHz channels and make it easier to connect when all of your neighbors are blasting out wi-fi signals.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    it just doesn't need that much bandwidth though ... at least not until Apple decides to allow it to sync with my Mac over WiFi. Then "N" would make sense. As for interference... I've never noticed a problem with it ... not to say others don't see it though.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

it just doesn't need that much bandwidth though ... at least not until Apple decides to allow it to sync with my Mac over WiFi. Then "N" would make sense. ...

I agree totally. It's an iPhone, not an Xserve cluster. Laptop users access Wireless-B nodes all day long with no obvious problems with bandwidth loss to due to interference. The notion that a single iPhone is hamstrung in environments where laptops running MacOS 9, MacOS X, Windows XP, and Windows Vista are not is a stretch to say the least.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I agree totally. It's an iPhone, not an Xserve cluster. Laptop users access Wireless-B nodes all day long with no obvious problems with bandwidth loss to due to interference. The notion that a single iPhone is hamstrung in environments where laptops running MacOS 9, MacOS X, Windows XP, and Windows Vista are not is a stretch to say the least.

In the pre-802.11n days, a friend of mine had to use 802.11a. His apartment building was completely saturated with b/g networks. It's not necessarily common, but it happens in densely populated areas.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

ya you're right both,busby seo test

,It's an iPhone, not an Xserve cluster. Laptop users access Wireless-B nodes all day long with no obvious problems with bandwidth loss to due to interference.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

.... It's not necessarily common, but it happens in densely populated areas.

Or you friend may have experienced a completely different problem. Today, single-family homes, apartment buildings, restaurants, hotels, and darned near everywhere else including open spaces are saturated with Wireless-B/G signals. If interference were a real problem, then it would be much worse today than it was when "your friend" reported the "problem." It is much more like that the problem was specific to your friend's setup.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Or you friend may have experienced a completely different problem. Today, single-family homes, apartment buildings, restaurants, hotels, and darned near everywhere else including open spaces are saturated with Wireless-B/G signals. If interference were a real problem, then it would be much worse today than it was when "your friend" reported the "problem." It is much more like that the problem was specific to your friend's setup.

Well, what can I say. At the time this happened, my friend was a hardware engineer at a major computer manufacturer. I can only assume he knew what he was doing.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I agree, doesn't need it until Apple offers wireless syncing. iPhone is an internet machine and 802.11B gives you 11Mbps; no internet connection will come close to that speed.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I agree, doesn't need it until Apple offers wireless syncing. iPhone is an internet machine and 802.11B gives you 11Mbps; no internet connection will come close to that speed.

Well just side note there are internet connection speeds that are easily faster than 11 Mbps, but 50 Mbps 802.11g, no...

But overall my main things is, I like to have full 5 GHz speed to and from my MacBook, not just internet, and my AppleTV 802.11n which easily loves 300 Mbps, with stored 720p at 1 GB or more per file from iTunes. Having to switch to use the iPhone basically makes my iPhone like my old iBook with 802.11b in my bedroom, I don't enable the 802.11b and the iBook doesn't get wireless ie No internet. The only difference is instead of no internet for iPhone the 3G kicks in. Which sucks compared to 802.11x (802.11 any version).

Laters...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Need more speed and battery life than faster connectivity. In fact, USB3 support would be good and dongle for VGA monitor support. Plus 50% more battery life.

Wireless synching does not make sense as it is slow compared to USB2 speeds.