diagnosing kernel task/CPU problem on Macbook Air

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hi

i am experiencing an intermittent problem with my macbook air, with kernel_task taking up most of my CPU. i have done some research and found that the most common cause of this is overheating, and indeed i am well aware of overheating issues. i have already had parts of my macbook air replaced because of one of the cores locking up and apps freezing. since the repair all worked well for a few weeks and now i am getting the kernel_task problem intermittently. it doesn't seem to be dependent on the temperature (CPUA is around 62 degrees) and the problem comes and goes at this temperature. the macbook air is not freezing as before and i get the problem even when no apps are running.

i have also heard that this problem can be experienced with USB peripherals, but all i have connected is an external hard drive and the problem remains after this is disconnected.

so, basically i am wondering if there is a way of pinpointing what is causing this problem, using the info in console perhaps. i don't know whether i should be trying to install coolbook, taking my macbook air for a replacement, or trying something else.

i would be grateful for any advice

thanks

nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I had the same issue with kernel_task on my Macbook whenever my Wakoopa Tracker have troubles with Dreamweaver. Probably not quite useful information but I'll leave it for your reference.